Jul 11, 2014, 1:48 PM EST
Francis, who has bounced around a ton over the past few years, was designated for assignment by Oakland after posting a 5.89 ERA in 18 innings.
At age 33 he hasn’t posted a sub-5.00 ERA since 2011 and dating back to 2008 he has a combined 5.22 ERA in 633 innings, but Francis can fill a rotation or bullpen role and the Yankees basically just needed a living, breathing veteran pitcher for a little while.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro’s agent denies his client’s involvement in Dominican Republic shooting 33
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (244)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)