Yankees acquire Jeff Francis from A’s

Jul 11, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT

Colorado Rockies v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Needing some emergency pitching depth following the Masahiro Tanaka injury news, the Yankees have acquired veteran left-hander Jeff Francis from the A’s for cash.

Francis, who has bounced around a ton over the past few years, was designated for assignment by Oakland after posting a 5.89 ERA in 18 innings.

At age 33 he hasn’t posted a sub-5.00 ERA since 2011 and dating back to 2008 he has a combined 5.22 ERA in 633 innings, but Francis can fill a rotation or bullpen role and the Yankees basically just needed a living, breathing veteran pitcher for a little while.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Is that all there is available?

2. giants1080 - Jul 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM

5.89 in oak?? I can pitch to a 4 era on oak this guy is gonna have a era of 7 in ny.. I hope not thou

• clydeserra - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I don’t think he ever pitched in oakland. Mostly on the road. And I think he came with an ERA from Cincinnati or somewhere.

• billybawl - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM

He had one start in Cincinnati, it didn’t go well. But his ERA actually increased while with the A’s. He did pitch mostly on the road, but most of that ERA is from two very poor outings at home, including against the Yankees. Small sample size and all that though.

• clydeserra - Jul 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM

I cannot recall the Yankees series at all.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM

His last sub-5 ERA was in 2011 with the Royals. His last ERA+ of above 100 was in 2007 with the Rockies. His ERA+ has not been above 85 since 2010. He’s a LOOGY that the Yankees will probably try to make back into a starter. He’s … teh suck, in other words. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/francje01.shtml

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I’ll bet Cashman overpaid for him, too.

3. unlost1 - Jul 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM

if he was any good the A’s wouldn’t have traded to get pitching from Chicago

4. devilsmetsgiants - Jul 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Might as well have kept Alfonso Soriano and let him pitch.

5. lalocrawford503 - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Actually, they let him go after Eric O’Flarety came off the DL. Not cause of his ERA.

• billybawl - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Francis was the long relief mop up guy, a role that seems to have fallen to Jim Johnson. I think the only close games he pitched in were extra inning games where they burned through their bullpens. Maybe I’m wrong though.

• lalocrawford503 - Jul 11, 2014 at 3:01 PM

He saved a game in MIA and you are correct, but he became expendable when O’Flarety came of the DL. And Johnson isn’t mop-up, as much as a low-leverage and if we have to guy. They would have kept Francis and Mills, they were servicable and helpful but we are pretty deep now with the bullpen and rotation possibilities. His ERA wasn’t why we let him go, which I felt was implied by the author of the post. He was let go because of lack of room on the roster. I watch/listen to every A’s game and nothing is more disappointing when reading about your team and people saying things that aren’t what is really happening, ie SI saying that Daric Barton would be our DH to start the season. If you watched any A’s ball the last couple seasons, you’d know he’s a 5th infielder that’s bounced between Sac and the majors and that we rotate our DH.

6. aresachaela - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Oh well, this is it. See you next season guys I’ll be missing you :-(

• Reflex - Jul 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM

You are about the only reason I feel bad when I hear news about the Yankees going down. I genuinely hope you don’t get discouraged because I love having new fans of the game.

7. pete2112 - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Well this certainly doesn’t make me jump for joy but I suppose not much would when you at how many guys have gone down this season. This makes me think that the Yankees aren’t going to be trading any prospects for Lee or Hamels, which is fine to me as there’s no reason to think this team is going to have any impact in the playoffs if they were lucky enough to even get in. Time to start rebuilding.

8. jss1330 - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Yankees buying another World Series

• pete2112 - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Ha… Good one.

• billiam55 - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM

dumb

9. RickyB - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Guess they couldn’t convince the A’s to give them the recently demoted Tommy Milone. Would much rather have him …

10. scoochpooch - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Continuing to sign former and current NL-ers is not going to bring about more wins.

11. trbmb - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Cashboy is on it, executing his vast GM skills to locate any warm body with the skill to leave the dugout. Yankee fans can relax, Cashboy will spend the cash and deliver his usual nothing. Following this, renew Cashboy’s contract for 3 more years. Clearly, I admire and value Cashboy.

12. yankeefan1950 - Jul 11, 2014 at 6:29 PM

If there’s a has-been or a never-was out there Cashman will find him. If the guy’s overpaid, even better. The man knows talent and its always in the past and on other teams.

13. pisano - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:38 PM

As the late Don Meredith use to sing to the fans on Monday Night Football,” turn out the lights, the party’s over” When a team resorts to a Jeff Francis, it’s really over.

Three legends off to Cooperstown