Jul 12, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that the Indians have acquired pitcher Nick Maronde from the Angels for cash considerations. To make room for him on the roster, the Indians moved Jason Giambi to the 60-day disabled list, per Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer.
Maronde, 24, was designated for assignment by the Indians on July 10. He had been up and down between the majors and minors with the Angels, appearing in 12 games at the big league level with a 12.79 ERA over 6 1/3 innings. The lefty has showed subpar control over his career, but does have the ability to miss bats, which will get him at least a few more opportunities to prove himself.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 28
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)