Jul 12, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Heartbreaking news to pass along. According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke just announced that shortstop Jean Segura has returned to his native Dominican Republic following the death of his nine-month-old son yesterday.
Segura has been placed on the bereavement list while Elian Herrera has been called up from Triple-A Nashville. Baseball isn’t even on the radar at a time like this, so the Brewers will obviously give him all the time he needs.
Our thoughts go out to Segura and his family.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 46
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 78
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)