Jul 12, 2014, 9:38 AM EST
Jordan Zimmermann gave the Nationals quite a scare last night when he was forced to exit his start against the Phillies in the fourth inning due to injury. According to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com, it was announced after the game that he had a right biceps cramp and will undergo an MRI today.
Zimmermann, who had Tommy John surgery in 2009, said after the game that he’s confident that the issue is muscular in nature and doesn’t involve a ligament.
“When I had the elbow problems, I knew something wasn’t right the whole time and just kept trying to pitch through it,” he said. “This, I don’t think it’s anything major, to be honest with you. It’s a little cramping, and it just felt really tight. So I didn’t want to push it.”
At the very least, Zimmermann will not be able to pitch in the All-Star Game next week. His availability beyond that is up in the air. The Nationals will have to cross their fingers for now.
Zimmermann is having another excellent season for Washington, posting a 3.03 ERA and 101/20 K/BB ratio over 113 innings. He’s currently sporting the best walk rate of his career and his highest strikeout rate since his rookie season.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 13
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 46
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)