Jul 12, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Brandon Phillips underwent surgery yesterday to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb and now the Reds will be without one of the potential options to fill in at second base.
Skip Schumaker was placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list prior to last night’s game. The 34-year-old utility man displayed symptoms after slammed into the right field wall while trying to catch Luis Valbuena‘s two-run triple in the 12th inning of Thursday’s game.
With Joey Votto also sidelined, the Reds are going to have to be creative with the right side of their infield. Last night, they used Ramon Santiago to fill in at second base while Jay Bruce made another start at first base.
After joining the Reds on a two-year, $5 million contract over the winter, Schumaker is batting .240/.287/.315 with one home run and 14 RBI over 47 games this season.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)