Jul 12, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Brandon Phillips underwent surgery yesterday to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb and now the Reds will be without one of the potential options to fill in at second base.
Skip Schumaker was placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list prior to last night’s game. The 34-year-old utility man displayed symptoms after slammed into the right field wall while trying to catch Luis Valbuena‘s two-run triple in the 12th inning of Thursday’s game.
With Joey Votto also sidelined, the Reds are going to have to be creative with the right side of their infield. Last night, they used Ramon Santiago to fill in at second base while Jay Bruce made another start at first base.
After joining the Reds on a two-year, $5 million contract over the winter, Schumaker is batting .240/.287/.315 with one home run and 14 RBI over 47 games this season.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 7
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 44
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 83
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 68
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)