Jul 12, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Mark Melancon has done a respectable job since replacing Jason Grilli as Pittsburgh’s closer, but Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review writes that the Pirates could consider making a trade for Padres closer Huston Street.
It’s unclear whether the two teams have actually had trade talks, but Biertempfel writes that the Pirates have focused most of their attention on pitchers, both for the rotation and the bullpen. The Padres figure to be one of a handful of sellers leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, so Street is a logical target for any team on the lookout for a late-inning arm. The 30-year-old owns a fantastic 1.09 ERA and 34/7 K/BB ratio over 33 innings this season. He’s making $7 million this season while his contract includes a $7 million option for 2015, so the asking price figures to be pretty steep.
Ernesto Frieri has struggled since coming over from the Angels for Grilli, so the potential addition of Street would allow Melancon to move back into a set-up role. Jonathan Papelbon, Joaquin Benoit, Chad Qualls, and Joakim Soria are among the other late-inning arms who could be moved this month.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)