Jul 13, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Angels outfielder Collin Cowgill was lifted from Saturday’s game against the Rangers after being struck by a pitch while trying to bunt in the top of the eighth inning. The ball first hit Cowgill’s right thumb and fractured it and then ricocheted off of his nose, breaking it too. According to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, he’ll be out 4-5 weeks.
Cowgill needs surgery on his nose, which had a big gash and began to bleed as he walked to the visitors clubhouse on Saturday night in Arlington, Texas.
Cowgill has been a valuable utility outfielder this season for Anaheim, batting .277/.354/.407 with five home runs in 200 plate appearances while making 36 starts in right field, eight in left, and five in center.
The 28-year-old will likely be out until sometime in late August. Grant Green was recalled Sunday.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)