Jul 13, 2014, 2:08 PM EST
Angels outfielder Collin Cowgill was lifted from Saturday’s game against the Rangers after being struck by a pitch while trying to bunt in the top of the eighth inning. The ball first hit Cowgill’s right thumb and fractured it and then ricocheted off of his nose, breaking it too. According to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, he’ll be out 4-5 weeks.
Cowgill needs surgery on his nose, which had a big gash and began to bleed as he walked to the visitors clubhouse on Saturday night in Arlington, Texas.
Cowgill has been a valuable utility outfielder this season for Anaheim, batting .277/.354/.407 with five home runs in 200 plate appearances while making 36 starts in right field, eight in left, and five in center.
The 28-year-old will likely be out until sometime in late August. Grant Green was recalled Sunday.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (96)