Jul 13, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez refused to get into specific in his chat with the media before Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Wrigley Field, but second baseman Dan Uggla has officially been suspended one game without pay and David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution hears that it was for tardiness. A late night in Wrigleyville, perhaps?
Uggla has seen only 18 plate appearances since the end of May and is batting just .162/.241/.331 across 145 total plate appearances this season. It would make sense to cut ties with him, but the Braves are apparently too cheap to do so. Uggla is making $13 million in 2014 and owed another $13 million in 2015. He’ll be a free agent after that at age 35.
UPDATE, 1:21 p.m. ET: O’Brien has dug up more info …
Was told by couple of people familiar with situation that #Braves Uggla showed up about an hour before Saturday’s 3:05 p.m. game.
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) July 13, 2014
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 7
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 15
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)