Jul 13, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez refused to get into specific in his chat with the media before Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Wrigley Field, but second baseman Dan Uggla has officially been suspended one game without pay and David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution hears that it was for tardiness. A late night in Wrigleyville, perhaps?
Uggla has seen only 18 plate appearances since the end of May and is batting just .162/.241/.331 across 145 total plate appearances this season. It would make sense to cut ties with him, but the Braves are apparently too cheap to do so. Uggla is making $13 million in 2014 and owed another $13 million in 2015. He’ll be a free agent after that at age 35.
UPDATE, 1:21 p.m. ET: O’Brien has dug up more info …
Was told by couple of people familiar with situation that #Braves Uggla showed up about an hour before Saturday’s 3:05 p.m. game.
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) July 13, 2014
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)