Jul 13, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez refused to get into specific in his chat with the media before Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Wrigley Field, but second baseman Dan Uggla has officially been suspended one game without pay and David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution hears that it was for tardiness. A late night in Wrigleyville, perhaps?
Uggla has seen only 18 plate appearances since the end of May and is batting just .162/.241/.331 across 145 total plate appearances this season. It would make sense to cut ties with him, but the Braves are apparently too cheap to do so. Uggla is making $13 million in 2014 and owed another $13 million in 2015. He’ll be a free agent after that at age 35.
UPDATE, 1:21 p.m. ET: O’Brien has dug up more info …
Was told by couple of people familiar with situation that #Braves Uggla showed up about an hour before Saturday’s 3:05 p.m. game.
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) July 13, 2014
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)