Jul 13, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez refused to get into specific in his chat with the media before Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Wrigley Field, but second baseman Dan Uggla has officially been suspended one game without pay and David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution hears that it was for tardiness. A late night in Wrigleyville, perhaps?
Uggla has seen only 18 plate appearances since the end of May and is batting just .162/.241/.331 across 145 total plate appearances this season. It would make sense to cut ties with him, but the Braves are apparently too cheap to do so. Uggla is making $13 million in 2014 and owed another $13 million in 2015. He’ll be a free agent after that at age 35.
UPDATE, 1:21 p.m. ET: O’Brien has dug up more info …
Was told by couple of people familiar with situation that #Braves Uggla showed up about an hour before Saturday’s 3:05 p.m. game.
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) July 13, 2014
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 10
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 37
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)