Jul 13, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez refused to get into specific in his chat with the media before Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Wrigley Field, but second baseman Dan Uggla has officially been suspended one game without pay and David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution hears that it was for tardiness. A late night in Wrigleyville, perhaps?
Uggla has seen only 18 plate appearances since the end of May and is batting just .162/.241/.331 across 145 total plate appearances this season. It would make sense to cut ties with him, but the Braves are apparently too cheap to do so. Uggla is making $13 million in 2014 and owed another $13 million in 2015. He’ll be a free agent after that at age 35.
UPDATE, 1:21 p.m. ET: O’Brien has dug up more info …
Was told by couple of people familiar with situation that #Braves Uggla showed up about an hour before Saturday’s 3:05 p.m. game.
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) July 13, 2014
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)