Jul 13, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Joey Gallo (Rangers) followed up an awe-inspiring session of batting practice by powering Team USA to a victory over the World Team in the 2014 Futures Game, held at Target Field in Minnesota as part of the All-Star Game festivities. The U.S. team had fallen behind 2-1 when Javier Baez (Cubs) smoked a Lucas Giolito (Nationals) curve ball to the opposite field for a two-run home run in the sixth inning. Gallo answered with a one-out, two-run moon shot in the bottom half of the inning to put his team back up 3-2. As a result, Gallo earned Futures Game MVP honors.
Henry Owens (Red Sox) started and pitched a scoreless inning for the U.S. Jose Berrios (Twins) started and pitched a scoreless inning for the World team. Catcher Kevin Plawecki (Mets) drove in the game’s first run with a third-inning ground out, scoring Jesse Winkler (Reds), who had doubled to lead off the inning against Edwin Escobar (Giants).
Noah Syndergaard (Mets) took the hill in the ninth inning and retired Steven Moya (Tigers) and Domingo Santana (Astros) quickly. Rosell Herrera (Rockies) kept hope alive with a two-out single, but Maikel Franco (Phillies) flied out to center to end the ballgame.
The All-Star Game festivities will continue on Monday with the Home Run Derby, which will start at 8 PM ET on ESPN.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)