Jul 13, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Joey Gallo (Rangers) followed up an awe-inspiring session of batting practice by powering Team USA to a victory over the World Team in the 2014 Futures Game, held at Target Field in Minnesota as part of the All-Star Game festivities. The U.S. team had fallen behind 2-1 when Javier Baez (Cubs) smoked a Lucas Giolito (Nationals) curve ball to the opposite field for a two-run home run in the sixth inning. Gallo answered with a one-out, two-run moon shot in the bottom half of the inning to put his team back up 3-2. As a result, Gallo earned Futures Game MVP honors.
Henry Owens (Red Sox) started and pitched a scoreless inning for the U.S. Jose Berrios (Twins) started and pitched a scoreless inning for the World team. Catcher Kevin Plawecki (Mets) drove in the game’s first run with a third-inning ground out, scoring Jesse Winkler (Reds), who had doubled to lead off the inning against Edwin Escobar (Giants).
Noah Syndergaard (Mets) took the hill in the ninth inning and retired Steven Moya (Tigers) and Domingo Santana (Astros) quickly. Rosell Herrera (Rockies) kept hope alive with a two-out single, but Maikel Franco (Phillies) flied out to center to end the ballgame.
The All-Star Game festivities will continue on Monday with the Home Run Derby, which will start at 8 PM ET on ESPN.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)