Jul 13, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Via Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com …
The Nationals don’t believe Jordan Zimmermann will need to spend any time on the disabled list after an MRI of his right arm taken Saturday revealed only a biceps strain, no structural damage.
“I didn’t think it was bad, anything serious,” the right-hander told reporters Saturday night. “The MRI came back and looked pretty good. A little inflammation. Give it rest for a few days and go home and come back and start throwing on Thursday again.”
Zimmermann left his start Friday evening against the Phillies with was originally called a biceps cramp. He’ll return to his home in Auburndale, Wisconsin rather than attend the 2014 All-Star Game in Minneapolis, with Marlins starter Henderson Alvarez filling the vacancy on the National League pitching staff.
Zimmermann finished the first half with a 3.03 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 101/20 K/BB ratio in 113 innings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)