Jul 13, 2014, 8:48 AM EST
The tide continues to change in the NL Central.
Playing with heavy hearts in the aftermath of shortstop Jean Segura losing his nine-month-old son, the Brewers were blown out 10-2 by the visiting Cardinals on Saturday afternoon at Miller Park. Brewers rookie starter Jimmy Nelson was lit up for eight runs — six earned — over 4 1/3 innings and Adam Wainwright was his usual self on the other end, limiting Milwaukee to two runs on five hits in seven innings. Wainwright’s ERA is at 1.83.
St. Louis was six-and-half games back of the Brewers when July began. Now the two teams are tied with one game left before the All-Star break. The Reds and Pirates also continue to lurk.
Your box scores and recaps from Saturday …
Pirates 6, Reds 5 (11 innings)
Nationals 5, Phillies 3 (10 innings)
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)