Jul 13, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
Giants starter Madison Bumgarner hit his second grand slam of the season — and his third home run overall — in the sixth inning of Sunday’s first-half finale against the Diamondbacks. The bases were loaded when D-Backs reliever Matt Stites allowed a lead-off single to Joaquin Arias, Ehire Adrianza reached on shortstop Nick Ahmed‘s fielding error, and Stites walked Brandon Crawford.
Madison Bumgarner is the first pitcher to have 2 grand slams in the same season since Tony Cloninger in 1966. #SFGiants
— #SFGStats (@SFG_Stats) July 13, 2014
Bumgarner was replaced on the National League All-Star roster earlier by teammate Tim Hudson. The lefty entered Sunday’s start with a 3.36 ERA with a 123/32 K/BB ratio in 120 2/3 innings spanning 19 starts.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29