Jul 14, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
We’ll know who the All-Star Game starting pitchers are, at the latest, early this afternoon when the managers meet the press. But there is some suggestion that Mike Matheny may call his own guy’s number and have Adam Wainwright make the start.
Rick Hummel reports that Matheny and Wainwright are both saying things which suggest that Wainwright is ready to go. He pitched on Saturday, is feeling good, Tuesday is the day he’d throw a side session, etc. He also suggests that Matheny has already made his decision and told Wainwright about it even if it isn’t public and that Wainwright offered a coy smile about it.
Of course, Clayton Kershaw is the better pitcher and he hasn’t pitched since Thursday. So perhaps there is still time for Matheny to change his mind and make, you know, the better choice.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro’s agent denies his client’s involvement in Dominican Republic shooting 17
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (243)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)