Jul 14, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Seattle’s ace will start the All-Star game after going 11-2 with a 2.12 ERA in 20 starts, including a 154/25 K/BB ratio in 144 innings.
Chris Sale is the only AL starter with a lower ERA than Hernandez, but the gap is 2.08 versus 2.12 and Hernandez has thrown 50 more innings.
This is Hernandez’s fifth All-Star game, but his first start at age 28. He won the Cy Young award in 2010, but not only didn’t he start the All-Star game that season … he didn’t even make the All-Star team.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)