Jul 14, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Gomes is making $5 million in the second season of a two-year, $10 million deal, but at age 33 he’s struggled at the plate by hitting just .234 with five homers and a .680 OPS in 67 games. By comparison, Gomes posted a .771 OPS in 2013 and an .868 OPS in 2012, but he has continued to knock around left-handed pitching.
It’s hard to imagine Gomes bringing back a whole lot via trade, so if/when the Red Sox decide to start selling off veterans a mid-level prospect could get the job done.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (252)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)