Jul 14, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Gomes is making $5 million in the second season of a two-year, $10 million deal, but at age 33 he’s struggled at the plate by hitting just .234 with five homers and a .680 OPS in 67 games. By comparison, Gomes posted a .771 OPS in 2013 and an .868 OPS in 2012, but he has continued to knock around left-handed pitching.
It’s hard to imagine Gomes bringing back a whole lot via trade, so if/when the Red Sox decide to start selling off veterans a mid-level prospect could get the job done.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 0
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 16
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (112)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)