Jul 14, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Gomes is making $5 million in the second season of a two-year, $10 million deal, but at age 33 he’s struggled at the plate by hitting just .234 with five homers and a .680 OPS in 67 games. By comparison, Gomes posted a .771 OPS in 2013 and an .868 OPS in 2012, but he has continued to knock around left-handed pitching.
It’s hard to imagine Gomes bringing back a whole lot via trade, so if/when the Red Sox decide to start selling off veterans a mid-level prospect could get the job done.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)