Jul 14, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Gomes is making $5 million in the second season of a two-year, $10 million deal, but at age 33 he’s struggled at the plate by hitting just .234 with five homers and a .680 OPS in 67 games. By comparison, Gomes posted a .771 OPS in 2013 and an .868 OPS in 2012, but he has continued to knock around left-handed pitching.
It’s hard to imagine Gomes bringing back a whole lot via trade, so if/when the Red Sox decide to start selling off veterans a mid-level prospect could get the job done.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)