Jul 14, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Gomes is making $5 million in the second season of a two-year, $10 million deal, but at age 33 he’s struggled at the plate by hitting just .234 with five homers and a .680 OPS in 67 games. By comparison, Gomes posted a .771 OPS in 2013 and an .868 OPS in 2012, but he has continued to knock around left-handed pitching.
It’s hard to imagine Gomes bringing back a whole lot via trade, so if/when the Red Sox decide to start selling off veterans a mid-level prospect could get the job done.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)