Jul 14, 2014, 9:46 AM EST
Yesterday Madison Bumgarner hit his second grand slam of the year. That was pretty major, as he became the first pitcher to hit two grand slams in the same season since 1966. That year Tony Cloninger hit two while playing with the Braves. Although Cloninger’s feat was even more impressive: he did it twice in one game.
But that’s not where the history ends. Buster Posey hit a grand slam too. And, according to Elias and many other folks in the business of seeing if weird stuff had ever happened before, it was confirmed: Posey and Bumgarner became first battery to hit a grand slam in the same game in major league history.
One hundred and forty plus years of big league history and we’re still notching firsts. Which, OK, some first are merely functions of us slicing up numbers ever more finely to create feats which aren’t immediately and apparently notable. But grand slams are pretty big things, and a pitcher and catcher doing it in the same game is something even a person might have pointed out as neat a century ago. And here we are, in 2014, and it just happened for the first time.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)