Mets “have made Bartolo Colon available” in trade talks

Jul 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Bartolo Colon Bartolo Colon

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets “have made right-hander Bartolo Colon available” in trade talks.

Colon has mediocre overall numbers thanks to a poor first six weeks, but since mid-May he’s started 10 games with a 2.74 ERA and 51/12 K/BB ratio in 72 innings. He’s owed about $4 million for the remainder of this season and another $11 million next season, which could be a potential stumbling block for suitors.

Rubin says the Mets’ wish list in trade talks includes a shortstop and a power-hitting corner outfielder, although it’s tough to imagine them getting an impact player in exchange for the 41-year-old Colon.

1. realgone2 - Jul 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM

No thanks.

2. sdelmonte - Jul 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I figure he’s more an August deadline guy. We’ll probably see what we have in the past with the Mets: they operate under the idea that they are still contenders and don’t make any trades on July 31, stop contending for good in August, and get decent value at the last moment. They did that last season with Marlon Byrd.

That said, if Niese comes back healthy and Gee stays healthy, it might be worth it no matter what to flip out Colon and go with one of the other farmhands. The timetable for Syndergaard has slowed, but I fully expect him to come up next month.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

If Joe Kelly doesn’t get better, Carlos Martinez is still iffy at times, and/or Shelby Miller’s back is still balky, and the Cards remain in the hunt further down the road, I’d be fine if Mo picked him up — IF the price is right.

3. jets82jets - Jul 14, 2014 at 3:49 PM

As embarrassing as it is to admit, I watch every Mets game. With that said I always get the feeling that Bartolo Colon is the weakest link in the rotation, just behind Zack Wheeler. Neise, Gee, DeGrom all dramatically out perform both Wheeler and Colon. If Wheeler pitches up to his ability he is definitely better than Colon. Colon’s stats may be good since May, but he always gives up runs in the first inning and sets a bad tone for the rest of the game. This seems to put added pressure on the offense which normally is already bad. Trading Bartolo would be a good idea if they can get anything worthwhile for him.

• jets82jets - Jul 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Though I must admit I will miss watching him bat, one of the most amusing things I have ever seen in baseball.

• plmathfoto - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I do too (watch all the game) and agree with almost everything you said. And seriously, maybe a little different prep work (like throw your pre game bullpen a little longer or harder) might help, he sucks in the first inning, then is really good (though annoying and scary) the rest of the game.

• sdelmonte - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Nothing embarrassing about watching every game. I’d gladly do it, too, if my wife wouldn’t be annoyed that I ignore her 162 times a year. Back in the day, I watched every day through some really bad stretches. You think Chris Young is bad? Do you remember Anthony Young?

Besides, we have the best broadcasters in NYC in any sport. The team might be meh, but the men calling the games are not.

• vlock1 - Jul 14, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Hell, you might have the best broadcasters in baseball. GKR are the bee’s knees. I’m not even a Mets fan and I watch sometimes.

• jets82jets - Jul 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM

I couldn’t agree more. Keith, Gary, and Ron are the best hands down. I live near Philly and have to listen to their announcers when the Mets play down here. There is literally no comparison. Not to mention on every CSN broadcast down here you can hear every drunken fan yelling. SNY and their broadcast team are the best.

4. dondada10 - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:08 PM

As far as money owed, Sandy Alderson has not been shy to include cash in order to pick up better prospects.

5. devilsmetsgiants - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM

If any team does trade for him I would recommend that they use their closer in the first inning and then put in Bartolo in the second inning to mop things up.

• raynman49 - Jul 14, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I love it! Brilliant!

6. nikedunks13 - Jul 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Wait a second, the 41 year old Bartolo Colon is available in trade talks? Surely there has to be some mistake.

7. chill1184 - Jul 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Certainly be interesting to see what Alderson can swing for him considering his age but he’s been pretty damm solid as a starter and hell he drove in a run a few weeks ago.

8. pisano - Jul 14, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Cashman, stay the hell away !!!

9. irishlad19 - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:28 AM

At his age and contract cost, it’s like trying to trade a ten year old Ford and expecting two year old BMW value!

10. arrow43050 - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:54 AM

Bartolo Colon, Eric Young Jr. and Rafael Montero to the Yankees for Brett Gardner. Yankees get a very strong pitching prospect, current starting pitching back and replace their left field leadoff hitter with another left field leadoff hitter, albeit a clearly less productive hitter. GIT ‘R DONE!

• pete2112 - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM

As a Yankees fan, no way! Do you really think the Yankees need another pitcher that could break down at a given time and another prospect? We have a bunch of prospects already and they’re already starting. Besides that, Gardner has been one of the very few bright spots this season for the Yankees. I think he got a little bit of a snub with regard to not even being mentioned as a potential all-star. He has some power this year and and is driving in an impressive amount of runs from the lead off spot. Also, keep in my mind the Yankees just gave him a new contract before the season began.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3502)