Jul 14, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Clayton Kershaw is the reigning Cy Young winner, threw a no-hitter last month, and leads the league in ERA, but Cardinals manager Mike Matheny has chosen his own ace, St. Louis right-hander Adam Wainwright, to start for the National League tomorrow night.
Wainwright ranks second in the league with a 1.83 ERA, just barely behind Kershaw at 1.78, and he’s thrown 42 more innings than Kershaw while leading the NL with 12 wins. In other words it’s hardly a controversial choice, although Kershaw is generally viewed as the best pitcher in the world and it does add a little drama to the situation that Matheny is choosing his own guy.
Here’s a full-on comparison of their respective numbers:
Wainwright Kershaw Starts 19 14 Innings 138 96 ERA 1.83 1.78 Record 12-4 11-2 SO/9 7.5 11.8 BB/9 1.8 1.2 OAVG .201 .191 WHIP 0.91 0.83
I tend to think Kershaw has been the better pitcher this season and also think his track record of Cy Young-winning excellence makes up for Wainwright’s admittedly large edge in innings this season, but Wainwright’s track record is plenty excellent too and one of the perks of getting to the World Series as a manager is that the next season you can choose your own ace over the Dodgers’ ace to start the All-Star game.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
It’s safe to say that nobody would have guessed this one.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
A quick recap of a busy Friday around MLB, including the exploits of Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:17 AM EDT
There are, increasingly, two Angels camps when it comes to the Josh Hamilton matter: Arte Moreno and everybody else.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:49 AM EDT
When Angels owner Arte Moreno was asked if Josh Hamilton would ever play for the Angels again, he said “I will not say that.” With this listing, perhaps Hamilton is saying so himself.
Ruben Amaro on Andy Oliver’s decision to elect free agency: “I think it was a very foolish move on his part, but that’s OK.”
Apr 17, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Ruben Amaro seems a little upset that Andy Oliver didn’t want to start the season with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
The Mets will be stretching out Rafael Montero as a starter at Triple-A Las Vegas before bringing him back to the majors for a spot start against the Marlins.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Mike Trout became the youngest to join the 100/100 club with a two-run home run on Friday night.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has two home runs on Friday night, leaving him two round-trippers shy of tying Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time home run leaderboard.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
Matt Carpenter made a cool maneuver to score the tying run in the bottom of the first against the Reds on Friday night.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
Neither side was warned, but Ubaldo Jimenez was ejected for hitting Pablo Sandoval with a pitch on Friday evening.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
A-Rod is now three home runs away from tying Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time home run leaderboard.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Since 2000, how often have teams that started 9-1 went on to have playoff success?
Apr 17, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Mark Buehrle, baseball’s timeless left-hander, is reportedly considering retiring after the season.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Well, he’s certainly not getting the support of the Los Angeles Angels.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
Duensing had an ugly outing Thursday in which he turned a blowout into a save situation for closer Glen Perkins.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:41 PM EDT
Ryan Goins, who was called up from Triple-A, is expected to be Reyes’ primary fill-in at shortstop.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
And call up infielder Danny Muno.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
OK, maybe that’s a bit strong.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Sanchez was the fourth overall pick in the 2009 draft.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 10
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)