Jul 14, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Pete Rose has historically slammed PED users. Saying stuff like this back in 2010:
Now, to answer your question about steroids, wouldn’t you like to ask Roger Maris how he feels about steroids? Or Babe Ruth how he feels about steroids? Or Hank Aaron, you could probably ask how he feels about steroids. Because those guys all lost records because of people who supposedly took steroids. So that’s a different deal right there. But I didn’t alter any statistics of baseball.
I may be bad, but not as bad as them, he has argued. I think that may be a tactical thing on his part — in the past he has also acknowledged that guys like Barry Bonds were great players regardless — and that he’d say just about anything to get himself reinstated or considered for the Hall of Fame. More evidence to that effect comes today, as he has now begun advocating for PED users in the Hall. Here he is on WFAN this morning:
Pete Rose wants Major League Baseball to give him a second chance. That’s no big secret.And he thinks he’d have a better shot at reinstatement if Hall of Fame voters can find it in themselves to induct a tainted slugger or two.
“I wish that would happen,” Rose said Monday on WFAN’s “Boomer & Carton” show. “If something like that would ever happen, it would enhance my opportunities.”
Any weapon at hand, I guess.
For what it’s worth I want the PED guys AND Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame. History is history and baseball is baseball. Let’s leave the ethics discussions for the ethicists and lets put the truly historic players in the Hall of Fame.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)