Jul 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
I don’t think anyone could’ve predicted that Nelson Cruz would go off this year like he has. And the Red Sox’ plan heading into the season looked solid enough that a great number of people, including this writer, thought that they’d be the favorites in the AL East and a pretty decent bet to repeat as far as such bets go.
But when you’re struggling like the Red Sox have struggled thus far, the second-guessers come out of the woodwork. It’s natural and understandable. Usually the guys who run the team being second-guessed stick to their guns and deny that they might have done something differently. But Red Sox chairman Tom Werner offered a good bit of candor in his interview with the Boston Globe over the weekend when he was asked about the Sox’ offseason moves:
“Obviously we made some mistakes and we cop to them. But we didn’t expect Shane Victorino to be on the disabled list for as long as he has been. We knew that Jackie Bradley had the potential to be a superstar but his season hasn’t been as robust as we all imagined. We’re still very confident about his potential and his defense has been fantastic. But should we have gone after Nelson Cruz? I guess so.”
That’s not an insane statement and it doesn’t represent Werner repudiating the offseason plan or anything like that. But it’s rare to see someone in his position acknowledge that, hey, maybe we could’ve done something else. Pretty refreshing to see someone like him operate in the reality all fans do when it comes to these things rather than stick to some script.
All in all: a good interview that all Sox fans should check out if they haven’t already.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)