Unlike Jonathan Papelbon, A.J. Burnett wants to stay with the Phillies

Jul 14, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT

Miami Marlins v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Jonathan Papelbon was made it very clear that he wants out of Philadelphia, but A.J. Burnett said yesterday that he has no plans to request a trade from the Phillies.

Burnett, who like Papelbon can block some deals with a limited no-trade clause, told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com:

I signed here to play here. I’m not a guy who looks for an out or wants to get out because things aren’t going the right way. If that happens, then it happens, but I’m not looking to move on. This is my team. I understand how things work, but I’m trying not to worry about it. I just try to go about my business and enjoy my teammates.

Burnett hasn’t been able to duplicate the success he had for the Pirates in 2012 and 2013, but he’s been solid for the Phillies with a 3.83 ERA and 108/57 K/BB ratio in 132 innings and has pitched better of late. Having a $7.5 million player option (or $15 million team option) for 2015 could complicate things a bit, but there are certainly plenty of contenders for whom Burnett would be a sizable rotation upgrade.

1. gmkev - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Sounds like a guy who has had a long career and is looking for stability in the final years of his career. Can’t blame him for not wanting to keep moving around.

2. hoopmatch - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Seems like moving around a lot is an occupational hazard for players near end of their careers if they want to keep playing. Jim Edmonds played for San Diego, Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee and Cincinnati in last two years of his career.

3. chip56 - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:27 PM

He’s an East Coast guy – only team I can think of that is in need and that he would accept a deal to would be the O’s and that would be an atrocious fit. AJ needs to stay in the NL.

• jwbiii - Jul 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM

His family lives in Maryland. His wife likes to watch him pitch but doesn’t fly. (When he played for Toronto, his contract included eight round-trip limo rides per season for her.) The good options for him are Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington. Since he is in one of those places, he doesn’t want to move.

• chip56 - Jul 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Right. Of those teams, Baltimore and Pittsburgh are the only ones that need him and Baltimore would be a terrible fit – he would get bombed there. Maybe a reunion with the Pirates but I doubt it.

4. lukedunphysscienceproject - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Burnett got his ring in 09 and is now content to pitch in the NL. He doesn’t want to demand a trade that could land him back in the AL, where he was demonstrably worse in his last stint there. I don’t blame him, I guess.

5. sfm073 - Jul 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM

He doesn’t care about winning and that’s why he signed with a team like the phillies. More power to him, but let’s not praise a guy who is fine with losing as long as he’s getting paid.

6. Bob Loblaw - Jul 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Didn’t think I would like the guy, but he’s been pretty solid for the Phillies this year. I hope they keep him this year at least. Knowing Ruben, he will trade Hamels and Burnett and keep Lee.

7. amaninwhite - Jul 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Sounds like a bit of a burn on Papelbon too.

8. fleaman1381 - Jul 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM

This coming from the guy that in the off season said he’d either play for Pittsburgh or retire.

9. andreweac - Jul 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Burnett’s lack of tWtW is far more likely to get him moved by Amaro. Papelbon should take note.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS