VIDEO: Watch the first career home runs of tonight’s Home Run Derby participants

Jul 14, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT

With the 2014 Home Run Derby less than 30 minutes away, here’s a look at the first career home runs of all of tonight’s participants:

It’s always weird to see Jose Bautista before he evolved into the Jose Bautista we know now. And what about Adam Jones in a Mariners uniform? Wild stuff.

The one thing that struck me while watching this video is that Justin Morneau hasn’t just been around longer than anyone else here, he’s also the only one who hits from the left side of the plate. Assuming the weather holds up, we’ll soon see if that matters.

1. bronco58lb - Jul 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Giancarlo wearing that hideous “Los Marlins” jersey for his first career round-tripper:-(

• asimonetti88 - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Crazy to see that one… even on his first homer, he ripped it.. that was a big hit.

2. O.Handwasher - Jul 14, 2014 at 7:53 PM

But hey, at least the Mariners got Eric Bedard for Jones. Oh, wait…

• Reflex - Jul 14, 2014 at 10:09 PM

The Bavasi era was a travesty. So much wasted talent for such short term gains. Another one he practically gave away was Shin-Soo Choo. And Chris Tillman. And so very many others. He destroyed their farm system.

3. clydeserra - Jul 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I lke how neither A had their pxp guy call it. Cespedes was ray fosse because the team was too cheap to send a whole crew to japan at the start of 2012 and Donaldson’s was Buck martinez? from the Jays, because the A’s are too cheap to televise every game, especially in 2010 when he first came up.

4. snipedanglecelly13 - Jul 14, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Stanton had the best first homerun. Pure power and it was a grand slam. Wow lol

5. nikedunks13 - Jul 14, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Why was Tulowitzki the home run derby captain? And why didn’t he pick some actual home run hitters other than Stanton

• nikedunks13 - Jul 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM

ok I see why he was the captain, but damn he picked a horrible team

6. hittfamily - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:18 AM

Where the hell did Morneau hit his? I’ve never seen that field in my life. I don’t even recognize the jerseys that the opposition is wearing.

• nvl004 - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Kansas City. They have an MLB team nicknamed the Royals.

• hittfamily - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Oh. You’re right. I couldn’t see the waterfalls because of a bad video feed. Really small and blurry on a phone.

Thumbs down to me.

• nvl004 - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:36 AM

true it was a bad video.

7. philipharmonic - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Stanton’s was grand slam. Wonder how many players have had a grand salami for their first. The Marlin’s announcer says, “Welcome to the show, Mike Stanton.” Mike Stanton last pitched in 2007 (Stanton’s slam was 2011).

• gmfw7 - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:06 AM

you do realize giancarlo stanton’s name is mike stanton, right? he started going by giancarlo after his rookie year. or were you trying to be funny?

8. stlouis1baseball - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I guess I didn’t realize Adam Jones was originally with the Mariners.
    Certainly caught me by surprise.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3424)