Wanna buy some All-Star Game-themed wine?

Jul 14, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT

MINNEAPOLIS, MN — I was walking through the hotel where the player interviews and media availabilities¬†and all of that noise and decided to give it all a miss. News flash: the players are all happy and honored to be here. They’re soaking it all in, etc.

But over at the hotel bar was something interesting:

source:

Yup, the Midsummer Classic now has a wine. I inquired about it from Shawna Keen, here, and got the info:

source:

This is new for Major League Baseball, as it’s the first time they’ve actually licensed a wine. You may recall that there were some baseball player-themed wines a few years ago like “Manny Being Manny Merlot” and things like that, but that was not officially licensed. And, if you were one of the people who tasted some of that stuff, you will be happy to know that it’s completely different wine. The old stuff was well-intentioned, but it tasted pretty vile.

Shawna told me that the All-Star Game wine (and some other, team-themed wines coming soon) is¬†sourced from a grape grower in California that also sources many of California’s top wineries including BV, Duckhorn, Cakebread, and Merryvale. They’re obviously selling this to people interested in the logos and the novelty of it all, but they want the wine to be something you’d actually drink.

And of course, I’m not the sort who is content to take people’s word for this sort of thing, so I put it to the test. First, the sniff test:

source:

Then the taste:

source:

The verdict: pretty darn good. I don’t think you’d want to give it to that smug cousin of yours who took three trips to Napa Valley and now acts like drinking anything under $50 a bottle is beneath him, but for the non-unctuous among us, it’s pretty darn good.’

If you’re interested in it, go check out MLB’s wine page. Which, yes, is a thing.

So, beer down and now wine down. Anyone got any whiskey around this place?

1. tmc602014 - Jul 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Glad to see you hard at work digging out the stories that matter.

2. chacochicken - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM

3. entitymn - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I think a few distilleries have some beginning to age, but nothing near being ready to release. The laws have just changed way too recently. You can find local vodkas and gins, though…

4. ereed1286 - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Boxed wine…it’s the best wine

• kopy - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Boxed? Who are you trying to impress? Just rip the plastic bladder out of there for easier transport and storage. Makes it easier to drink from the valve, too.

• ereed1286 - Jul 14, 2014 at 5:28 PM

You’ve sold me.

Just don’t forget to give it a slap.

• grumpyoleman - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM

They should come with straws just like juice boxes.

5. coryrox78 - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM

$90 a bottle is a rich for my blue collar wallet, but pretty cool idea. Making it to Fan Fest is now officially on my bucket list.

6. nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I like wine, to a point. But there’s a reason baseball and beer start with the same letter.

• El Bravo - Jul 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM

booze boobs

• historiophiliac - Jul 14, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I’m guessing you’ve also missed out on the pleasure of a baseball pedicure. You’re loss.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 14, 2014 at 6:17 PM

When I was a kid, you could fit the logos of every team in MLB on your finger and toe nails. Now not even Antonio Alfonseca can manage it. It’s taken all the fun out of the All-Star mani-pedi. Oh, and it’s “your” loss of course.

• historiophiliac - Jul 14, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Only because you haven’t had enough All-Star Chianti!!!!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 14, 2014 at 7:37 PM

You must need to consume quite a lot to find enough fingers and toes to fit 30 logos.

7. spyder9669 - Jul 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Pretty soon Scott’s Field Turf will get into the wine business. Getting drunk while watching my grass grow might be more entertaining then yet another watered down “All-Star” weekend.

8. sophiethegreatdane - Jul 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM

No thanks, Craig. There’s been enough whining about the All Star game around here already.

9. sabatimus - Jul 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Egad, no.

10. historiophiliac - Jul 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Good grief, Craig. You look like you’re afraid of the glass. Man up. It’s just fermented fruit.

11. mgv38 - Jul 14, 2014 at 6:16 PM

“Absurd, yet flaccid.”

No, not you, CC.

I like wine, but unfortunately I cannot thing of the ASG without thinking of Bud.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3281)