Adam Wainwright: “I didn’t want Derek Jeter to get a hit”

Jul 15, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT

wainwright asg getty Getty Images

Adam Wainwright did an in-game interview with FOX’s Erin Andrews after the eighth inning about his controversial comment that he grooved a pitch to Derek Jeter in the veteran shortstop’s first at-bat of Tuesday night’s MLB All-Star Game.

Here’s the dialogue …

[Video of the first-inning at-bat plays]

Andrews: “Adam is watching this video with me right now going ‘Come on — 94 mph, 87 mph, that’s ridiculous.’ The comments you made to the reporters after you pitched … what was that all about?”

Wainwright: “Sometimes my humor goes … uh … gets taken the wrong way. I feel terrible about this. If anyone’s taking any credit away from what Derek Jeter has done tonight … I mean, it was mis-said. I made a mistake by that. I hope people realize I’m not intentionally giving hits up out there. I know this game means something. I’m guessing people think I’m trying to give up home runs to Miguel Cabrera too? I’m very competitive. I think I said yesterday that I didn’t want Derek Jeter to get a hit. I think I said it today, even, before I pitched. So I don’t know. It’s a distraction and I do not want to be a distraction. I wanted it to be all for Derek. If anything is taking away from his moment then I sincerely apologize. At no point in my career have I gone out and intentionally given up hits.”

Andrews: “Well we appreciate you clearing that up. Don’t you love social media?”

Wainwright: “No. I don’t love social media.”

Did Adam Wainwright take away from Derek Jeter?

1. joecool16280 - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:49 PM

“No. I don’t love social media.”

Love it.

• fifthstarter - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:10 AM

SMH Twitter, forcing me to say stuff I didn’t mean.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM

This wasn’t the only BS anyway. As Miklasz notes, what if Glenn Perkins wasn’t the best closer, but finished the game just because he’s a Twinkie? http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/wainwright-s-pitch-to-jeter-captures-all-star-game-contradiction/article_f2f40da6-37a6-5bae-8f0b-2c3d438feb4e.html

2. gerryb323 - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Yeah, thanks for that, uh, clarification. Um, sure.

3. stoutfiles - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Not only did he disgrace the game by treating Jeter like a baby and throwing softballs, he now has the nerve to lie and pretend it never happened. No respect for Wainwright anymore. Thanks for screwing over the NL’s home field advantage.

• nbjays - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:57 PM

So do you believe he intentionally grooved the one that Miggy hit out as well?

It’s a conspiracy, I tell ya… started by Bud Selig to ruin the game and screw the NL… someone paid off Wainwright to throw the game in the first inning… and you know what? It’s Obama’s fault.

Or maybe he WAS joking with his first comments and some idiot took him seriously.

Nah, it’s gotta be Obama…

Give your head a shake.

• normcash - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM

HA! Good one nbjays!

• stoutfiles - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Purposely letting even one player get a hit in a game that means home field advantage is game fixing and should be punished by MLB.

If you don’t think putting Jeter on 2nd and pitching from the stretch with Trout and Cabrera still to bat would lead to runs, then you don’t get baseball. Either make it an exhibition and let all the players get hits, or make it mean something and have all the players play to win.

What does this have to do with Obama? Why are you being a tool?

• petey1999 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Awesome.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM

nbjays

“So do you believe he intentionally grooved the one that Miggy hit out as well?”

nope, only to Jeter

• apkyletexas - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Pitchers used to purposely throw easy home run pitches to McGuire and Sosa and admit it later – and that was during games that counted. And I’m still quite certain that Cal Ripken’s home run ball on the night he broke Lou Gehrig’s record was a gift pitch.

Happens sometimes in baseball. It’s a show of respect. If you can’t deal with it, if you feel the game is disgraced, then go watch dudes flopping and screaming in soccer or something.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Don’t forget Favre flopping for Strahan, over in the NFL.

• blacksables - Jul 16, 2014 at 5:07 AM

No one cared when Chan Ho Park grooved one to Cal Ripken in his 1st AB in his last All-Star game, and he hit a home run.

Since none of the other players have spoken out against it, why do you care?

It’s their game. They get to play it the way they want, not the way you want.

• ereed1286 - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Hey stoutfiles,

If this game was so important, why was Jeter starting at SS? He doesn’t have All-Star numbers in my book…

Yes, the game matters, but the fact that this was Jeter’s last All-Star Game was definitely a factor. Get a grip.

• gostlcards5 - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:28 PM

He didn’t disgrace the game, and he didn’t throw him a “softball”. He simply wasn’t trying to trick him. Read JoePos’s article. It was a respect thing.

4. bronco58lb - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Even after clarifying his comments, this controversy won’t go away. I always like the MLB All-Star Game because it was played like the regular season in terms of batter-pitcher matchups, but Wainwright, intentional or not, has turned the ASG into the Pro Bowl for one night.

5. ripwarrior - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:51 PM

I would pay 1500 for a night with Erin Andrews.

• twinfan24 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I wouldn’t. Not saying she’s ugly, because she isn’t. But, I think she gets too much credit because she is in the sports field. Just another blonde, reasonably attractive woman with a nice shape.

• historiophiliac - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Shut up, pig. She probably wouldn’t give you the time of day. Not the least because you’re a piggy.

• ripwarrior - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:18 AM

She would definitely be sounding like a pig with how much she would be squealing.

• historiophiliac - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Oh, and you’re dumb too. Of course.

• stercuilus65 - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:54 AM

She got a real purdy mouth!

• fifthstarter - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:14 AM

No one cares about your sexual fantasies, dude. Keep it to yourself.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:56 AM

She looks like a bird. A bird nose, a bird face with bird legs. A damn crane.

6. dickclydesdale - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Idiot Wainwright gives Jeter some cookies to hit then blows the game & tries to cover his rear end for being a sellout punk.

7. bronco58lb - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Wainwright also got a much debated nod over Clayton Kershaw. I think he should have respected the honor, gone out and showed America why he was deserving of the ball.

• blacksables - Jul 16, 2014 at 5:13 AM

If “much debated” means the media and Dodger fans, then you’re correct.

8. ezthinking - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Wainwright: “No. I don’t love social media.”

Or dugout interviews.

9. bfunk1978 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:07 AM

What the heck??

10. shutur5hole - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:13 AM

So is it Ok When Brett Farve allowed I believe it was Larwence Taylor to get the sack record by falling down in a game. What’s the big deal if he grooved the ball.

• tedwmoore - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Michael Strahan.

11. historiophiliac - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Thanks, church lady, for shaming him into an apology and making drama in an effort to stir up Jeter-gate.

12. b12071 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Thank you M Matheny for not selecting Strassburg, Fister or others and instead picking your own.

• sergioxjacques - Jul 16, 2014 at 3:16 AM

You’re definitely not a Nationals fan.

13. kingscourt25 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Backpedaling like a politican

14. laxer37 - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:18 AM

All 5 American League runs came off St. Louis Cardinal pitching. Nice call Metheny.

15. playball - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Meh. Leave the guy alone. He slipped up saying it was intentional, but, he’s in a fishbowl. I would’ve been surprised if any pitcher didn’t give Jeter a pitch to hit.

I was shocked he wasn’t the MVP.

16. stercuilus65 - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:55 AM

Cardinals pitchers… 1 1/3 innimgs… 5 runs.
    Rest of NL staff… 6 2/3 innings… 0 runs

• blacksables - Jul 16, 2014 at 5:18 AM

Cardinals pitchers – 4 World Series in the last 10 years, and 2 wins

15 other National League pitching staffs – 6 World Series in 10 years – 3 wins

17. fleaman1381 - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Obviously I can’t be 100% sure of this, but having seen a lot of Wainwright interviews, this does kind of seem like a joke he would make. Is their video/audio anywhere of him saying he threw a soft pitch? Wainwright tries to be a comedian in interviews and Jeter is the kind of player that can spend months not being able to hit a beach ball then suddenly show up in a big moment.

And no. I’m not a Cardinals fan. Or a Yankees fan. I just think there is a pretty good possibility this is being blown out of proportion.

• roundballsquarebox24 - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I kind of agree with the comment about this being blown out of proportion, but Jeter’s first at-bat consisted of obvious meatballs right over the plate. Now the pitch that Cabrera turned on? Great pitch. Hard inside pitch, off the plate even. Miggy pulled his hands in like few guys in this league can and ripped a pretty good pitch for a home run. Mike Trout’s triple? He put some pretty good lumber on the ball but that ball was clearly misjudged by Yasiel Puig and should not have been a triple. I don’t think that Wainwright had such a bad inning, but throwing those 90 mph softies to Derek Jeter with Trout, Cano and Cabrera behind him was a bad idea.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I hear you 24. I just put myself in his position. Gotta’ be kind of tough to be clapping for a dude one second and the next…trying to shut him down. No excuse…cause’ he pitched poorly regardless. Just saying it couldn’t have been easy.

18. wpjohnson - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:13 PM

He grooved one for Jeter which should be no surprise to anyone. His double talk denying it is ridiculous. His earlier admission was the truth. The coverup by him and the media is BS. The AL scored three runs in the first inning. They won by two. If Wainwright has actually pitched to Jeter, the outcome could have been quite different. Wainwright may well have cost his team home field advantage in the WS. Should he be held accountable? Yes. Will he be held accountable? No. After all this was Jeter’s night of canonization. The white wash will flow.

• gostlcards5 - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:34 PM

He wasn’t denying it and it wasn’t a coverup. All he was saying is he was throwing him balls down the pipe. He was trying to do it in a self-deprecating, joking way. That’s who Waino is.

In case you haven’t been watching, 91-93 is Waino’s normal fastball speed these days. It’s more than sufficient because of the big, slow 12-6 curve that he pairs it with.

For God’s sake, read Joe Posnanski’s article. He explains what “grooving the ball” means, for you all who think it means “I threw him a 30-mph pitch down the middle so he could smash it”.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3257)