And That Happened: Classic!

Jul 15, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT

Image (1) jackie%20robinson%20sliding.jpg for post 5280

Note: due to the All-Star break, we now bring you a special “Classic” version of “And That Happened.” The following originally ran on the HardballTalk pamphlet following the games of July 15, 1947

Pirates 9, Dodgers 3; Pirates 12, Dodgers 4: Wally Westlake with a homer, a double and seven runs batted in during the first game, Hank Greenberg with two in the daycap. This Jackie Robinson fella went 3 for 4 in the back end and walked and scored a run in the first in a losing effort. See, despite all of the fuss those old men who write for the newspapers made at the beginning of the season about him being “a distraction” or not respecting the way baseball has always been played was a bunch of overblown malarkey. I realize not everyone gets their baseball news from pamphleteers like me now, but one day soon it will be commonplace and these old reactionary “respect the game” sorts of newsmen will find themselves out of a job. I put that date at 1958 at the latest.

Tigers 11, Senators 6: The Tigers win this one easily, thanks to Hoot Evers driving in three, Hal White doing a great job of picking up an ineffective Dizzy Trout in long relief and seven of the Senators players being blacklisted after giving evasive answers to the House Un-American Activities Committee.

Yankees 2, Indians 1; Yankees 9, Indians 4: The Yankees win both ends of the doubleheader. That’s fifteen and sixteen wins in a row for the Yankees, respectively. And they just added Bobo Newsom from the Senators the other day! Might as well just crown them now. Not unlike how the people of Spain just crowned Generalissimo Franco king last week. Long may the Yankees reign!

White Sox 5, Red Sox 1: Taffy Wright with a homer and a couple of RBI. What’s with the names of players these days, fellas? We have “Taffy” and “Hoot” and “Bobo.” Not sure what the parents of the teens and 20s were thinking, but there was a time when names were normal and parents didn’t set out to give kids unique names just for the sake of uniqueness.

Athletics 8, Browns 1: Ellis Kinder gave up five runs and Nels Potter three and the Browns offense went missing as well. Much like that experimental radio controlled plane I recently built and started flying. Indeed, just last week I was flying it near my summer home in Roswell, New Mexico. It went over a bluff near the airbase and I couldn’t find it. Oh well, I’m sure no one noticed and that nothing will ever come of it.

Cardinals 8, Braves 2: Joe Garagiola went hitless, but the scouts I talk to are still over the moon about that kid. And to think, there were some who thought that the other young man from St. Louis everyone was high on, that Lawrence Berra kid, was the better player. Anyway, Braves shortstop Nanny Fernandez went 0 for 4 and let a couple of balls get through the infield. Just Nanny being Nanny.

Giants 4, Cubs 0: Dave Koslo with the shutout. Boy oh boy, he dominated those northsiders like that Taft-Hartley Act which just passed is going to dominate organized labor!

Reds 5, Phillies 4: Ewell Blackwell pitched well. Sorry, I know I say that every time he starts, but part of that whole thing with the pamphlets and the newspapers is about telling the same jokes over and over and creating a unique little culture of writing which may attract readers who purchase the pamphlets over and over again and, perhaps, interact with we pamphleteers and one another. I know some of you may find our letters to the pamphleteer section a little rowdy sometimes, but it’s the future of this business, really.

1. itsacurse - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM

I really enjoyed this

2. johnnysoda - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM

3. stackers1 - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM

You’ll see, The Browns are going to turn it around this year.

• zzalapski - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Only if Manziel starts taking his job seriously.

Wait, what century are we in?

4. historiophiliac - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM

History jokes. How…cute.

• Nick Danger - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Just remember, Abraham Lincoln didn’t die in vain, he died in Washington, D.C.

5. baldcrabbydaddy38 - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Very, very entertaining! I would actually prefer that you do this every day of the season, however I realize that the brilliance in it is limited.
    Kudos to me (thanks to Max Sherzer I now give myself kudos for everything) for reading it, and kudos to Craig for writing it!

• dcarroll73 - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM

And the biggest kudo of all to Time magazine (but what does it mean?)

6. happytwinsfan - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I would have thought that Craig would have preferred to tell us what happened this day in a year when his Braves were riding high, say 1991.

7. kountryking - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Craig, thanks for the memories. To see that photo of Jackie was enough to start my day. But to read those mostly long-forgotten names dampened my eyes a bit. Not Grantland Rice, but lovely.

8. number42is1 - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:10 AM

The Cubbies are gonna go all the way baby! they are due!

9. 18thstreet - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:18 AM

You don’t see many players named “Bobo” any more. I blame global warming.

10. Rich Stowe - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I have faith in Garagiola! That Berra kid still doesn’t look like a “ballplayer!” He’ll never last! Joe G for the Hall of Fame!

• mybrunoblog - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Actually both Berra and Garagiola made it into the HOF. Berra obviously as a player and Joe G as a broadcaster.

11. jimmyt - Jul 15, 2014 at 9:38 AM

As I read between the lines I see what a troubled and frustrated man you are.

12. moogro - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Sox win with that write-up.

13. number42is1 - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM

A BLACK MAN IN MLB???? who heard of such a thing?? this will never last mark my words!

• sportsdrenched - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I’ll bet you this matured war bond that in the future…that MLB will issue pink bats to the players on Mother’s Day.

14. Nick Danger - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I knew something seemed fishy about that Dizzy Trout. Probably a Pisces, working for scale.

15. sportsdrenched - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Brilliant!

As for the names. You know in current MLB locker rooms every player has a nickname. I mean anytime you get three guys around each other their names quit being their real names and they become “Slim” “Hollywood Rammer” “Lead Ass”. I say the broadcast media start using the player nicknames that are appropriate for public consumption so we can have cool baseball names again.

• Cris E - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Good idea, S-Dren!

16. zzalapski - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM

“That is a terrible idea. Haven’t you people mocked me enough?” – Doug Fister

• zzalapski - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:34 AM

(meant in response to S-Dren’s comment)

• sportsdrenched - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Dick Trickle and Doug Fister should have a beer together.

• jwbiii - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Or play golf with Dick Pole and Rusty Kuntz.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Um, bit of a problem there Sports. Mr Trickle died about 14 months ago at age 71.

17. billybawl - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM

“Evasive answers”? “Dominate organized labor”? Another Truman-loving screed from Craig, writing for his comrades. Why do you have to inject politics into everything? You should really just stick to pamphleteering about baseball.

18. natstowngreg - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM

So, are you a Dewey or Taft Republican? Or, are you holding out for Ike in ’48?

Any of them will beat Truman badly, and help the Congress in Republican hands. Harry’s just presiding over the dying remains of FDR’s socialist legacy. I can see the headline now–“Dewey Defeats Truman.”

• natstowngreg - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:34 PM

[sorry, this is for billybawl]

19. hushbrother - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM

That the Athletics won can be attributed to the Philadelphia Mass Disturbance of 1947, the same one that caused massive book-stacking.

20. whatacrocker - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Did the Angels, Mets, Marlins, and about 11 other teams have the day off?

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3447)