Cliff Lee was roughed up in his minor league rehab start Monday

Jul 15, 2014, 12:30 AM EST

Cliff Lee AP

Cliff Lee is slated to return from the disabled list one week from today against the Giants in Philadelphia, but Corey Seidman of CSNPhilly.com brings word that his final tuneup in the minors didn’t go smoothly.

Pitching for High-A Clearwater on Monday night, Lee was knocked around for eight runs — three earned — on eight hits and a walk over 4 2/3 innings. He also hit a batter. Following an error by shortstop prospect J.P Crawford, Lee gave up five runs in the first inning, including a two-run home run. No word yet on his velocity, but that’s an ugly outing no matter what. Lee now has a 5.06 ERA and 8/2 K/BB ratio in 10 2/3 innings over three rehab starts.

Lee hasn’t pitched in the majors since May 18 due to a flexor strain in his left elbow, but the timing of his return will allow him to make a couple of starts to prove his health and effectiveness in advance of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. Lee, 35, is owed around $12 million for the rest of this season and $25 million for next season while his contract includes a $27.5 million vesting option or $12.5 million buyout for 2016.

1. mungman69 - Jul 15, 2014 at 5:58 AM

The Phillies need more than Cliff.

2. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Since I do injury reporting I’ve seen a dozen terrible rehab starts where the pitcher was fine when he got back the majors. Maybe Lee was working on his off-speed stuff or whatever. The question is not his rehab result, it’s whether he’s feeling pain (beyond “normal” soreness). The team will look at velocity, pitch count and a report on how his arm and shoulder feel the day after his outing before deciding whether Lee’s return should be delayed.

3. hittfamily - Jul 15, 2014 at 7:06 AM

And That Happened…

Boring ass home run derby.
    Jeter infatuation getting old.
    Puig didn’t flip his bat. (I was king of looking forward to him flipping it, then having to go pick it up to continue hitting).
    Self serve beer. I for one welcome our new beer dispensing robot overlords.

The only interesting about yesterday was that Dave Cameron released the first 10 names of his annual 50 highest trade value players. 2 Rays were on it from 41-50. Neither one was Kiermaier. I bet Kiemaier is the one to overtake Trout this year.

• bringin1234 - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM

man I have to agree…. what a failure of a homerun derby. Most of the sluggers watching. As a white sox fan I wanted to see Abreu in it, and Cruz and Rizzo. The big names….

• thenaturalmevs - Jul 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Kiermier couldn’t beat Mike Trout in checkers.

• hittfamily - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Mike Trout is great at checkers though. That’s like saying Kiermaier couldn’t beat Bobby Fisher in chess.

4. greymares - Jul 15, 2014 at 7:10 AM

This says I want to stay in Philly, don’t trade for me I suck.

• Nick Danger - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I think it says “Wow I stink, thank God RAJ gave me $25 million reasons to stay in Philly next season and another $27.5 million in 2016 if I can just stay on the mound all season next year.”

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3950)
  2. J. Kang (3387)
  3. J. Upton (2916)
  4. C. McGehee (2860)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2830)
  1. M. Kemp (2775)