Giancarlo Stanton almost hit a baseball out of Target Field

Jul 15, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT

I’m not all that into the Home Run Derby, but last night Giancarlo Stanton hit a baseball an estimated 510 feet, damn near smacking it out of Target Field, and … well, that’s worth watching again:

I liked Stanton’s reaction afterward, like, “yeah, I guess I just did that.”

1. brentoage - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:55 PM

What a beast! Love watching Stanton swing the bat.

2. baberuthslegs - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM

What was the 422 that showed on screen?

• RickyB - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM

That was the distance it actually traveled. The 510′ is how far it would have gone if the stadium hadn’t gotten in the way.

• baberuthslegs - Jul 15, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Thanks.

3. bringin1234 - Jul 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

that was an impressive round, but it was too bad he just seemed to want nothing to do with round 2…

thing was a BOMB

4. Old Gator - Jul 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM

See if you can find any footage of Cutch cheerleading amongst the brethren with his eyes popping out, and then pulling his cap over his face in a “I don’t believe what I just saw” moment. I don’t get to watch him all that much so I didn’t realize he was capable of such rubberfaced expressions. Hilarious.

• jm91rs - Jul 15, 2014 at 3:52 PM

He’s as straight-faced as can be in the field, but when he gets back to the dugout after a good play he’s usually got a huge smile (I saw it twice when he single-handedly killed the Reds last week). I really enjoy watching these guys smile in awe at the skills of their peers.

• mbellwoar - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Cutch is completely one of the most fun loving guys in the league. Love that guy.

• Nick Danger - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:32 PM

I hallucinated a very informational post home-run interview with the ball.
      – That was amazing! How did that feel?
      – Oh my God – my cover – I can’t feel my cover
      – When did you know you were going to be a long home run?
      – The pain ….

5. realgone2 - Jul 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Good god! He did almost hit that out of the park. That wasn’t just a bomb that was a nuke.

6. timmmah10 - Jul 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM

You have to love how the players act like little kids watching on the sidelines, which they did all night. Goes to show you that through all the business, and all the BS, they are just grown men playing and enjoying the game they love.

7. txraiderfan - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM

2 longest homers ever- Stanton and Glenallen Hill. WOW- what a shot last night!

8. claymatthewshairplugs - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

How long before Stanton is on the Dodgers. 2 years, then the blue can turn around and trade Ethier, Kemp & a top prospect, maybe Seager or Pederson to get Cutch before he hits free agency. An outfield of Stanton, Cutch & Van Slyke would be amazing.

• Old Gator - Jul 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM

You really oughtta wear rubber underwear tonight, because dreams like that will have you stuck to the sheets in the morning.

9. burnz99 - Jul 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Should have had Joey Gallo of the rangers organization in the home run derby he hit one of of Target Field and broke a truck windshield would have the derby way more interesting

10. jsally430 - Jul 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

For the life of me I’ll never understand why Adam Dunn has never been selected for one of these damn things

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey