Jul 15, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
MINNEAPOLIS, MN — So I’m up in the press box watching the first inning of the All-Star Game and another baseball writer — whose name I won’t reveal, but it rhymes with Schmo Emanski — suggests that maybe Adam Wainwright grooved the pitch that Derek Jeter hit for a leadoff double. It would definitely fit in with a night when everything is aimed at honoring The Captain.
Schmo: OK, maybe he’s not grooving it.
I know this is hindsight, but hindsight is an awful lot of fun when it meshes nicely with your preconceptions. So I’ll just say it: maybe Clayton Kershaw should’ve gotten the start after all?
UPDATE: Kershaw sets the American League down 1-2-3 in the second. He’s the best, folks. Maybe one day he’ll be a starter and not a reliever.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)