Jul 15, 2014, 8:47 PM EST
MINNEAPOLIS, MN — So I’m up in the press box watching the first inning of the All-Star Game and another baseball writer — whose name I won’t reveal, but it rhymes with Schmo Emanski — suggests that maybe Adam Wainwright grooved the pitch that Derek Jeter hit for a leadoff double. It would definitely fit in with a night when everything is aimed at honoring The Captain.
Schmo: OK, maybe he’s not grooving it.
I know this is hindsight, but hindsight is an awful lot of fun when it meshes nicely with your preconceptions. So I’ll just say it: maybe Clayton Kershaw should’ve gotten the start after all?
UPDATE: Kershaw sets the American League down 1-2-3 in the second. He’s the best, folks. Maybe one day he’ll be a starter and not a reliever.
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 8
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (90)