Royals owner gives votes of confidence to GM and manager, says “I’m obsessed with winning”

Jul 15, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT

Bud Selig, David Glass AP

It’s that time of year when the Kansas City media asks Royals owner David Glass for his thoughts on the team’s underwhelming performance and this season Glass’ focus seems to be on the 48-46 team’s lack of consistency.

Here’s some of what Glass told Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star in a lengthy interview worth reading in full:

I thought we’d be more consistent. At times, we’ve played extremely well. At times, we’ve played not so well. It’s the inconsistency that has surprised me. But we’re in a good position, I think, to make a run for the playoffs. If we have a good second half, there’s no reason why we can’t be in the playoffs.

And, as usual, Glass gave votes of confidence to longtime general manager Dayton Moore and manager Ned Yost, indicating that he expects both to be back in 2015.

I think they’ve both done a good job. Dayton is one of the best baseball people I know, and I’ve been around a lot of them for the last 60 years. And I think Ned is a very good manager. … The one thing I’ve learned about Ned and Dayton both is they are as obsessed with winning as I am. All three of us have a real problem when we lose. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m not just committed to winning, I’m obsessed with winning.

If they stay above .500 this would be the Royals’ third winning season since 1995 and they’re on pace to finish with fewer than 90 wins for the 25th consecutive year. Moore has been on the job since 2006 and he hired Yost as manager in 2010.

I look forward to the 2015 version of these same quotes from Glass.

1. amaninwhite - Jul 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Vote of confidence = kiss of death

• baseballisboring - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM

I’m not as convinced when it comes to the Royals.

2. tfbuckfutter - Jul 15, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I’m obsessed with the idea of Diane Lane’s 25 year-old face on a body that has Kate Upton’s boobs and Stacy Keibler’s butt.

Like the Mr. Glass, I will also always be struggling with my disappointment.

3. wogggs - Jul 15, 2014 at 3:14 PM

As a Royals fan, I hope they both get fired at the end of the season (unless the Royals somehow, magically, get to at least the ALCS, and then I would only root for Yost to be fired).

4. Caught Looking - Jul 15, 2014 at 3:18 PM

So the Glass is half full

5. paperlions - Jul 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM

If he really had been paying attention to baseball, ever, then “inconsistency” would not surprise him. Every year, just about every team goes through times of winning and times of losing and times of playing .500 ball.

Just about any team could say, “If we have a good second half, there’s no reason why we can’t be in the playoffs.” Of course, at issue is whether or not the team is good enough for one to expect a good 2nd half.

Yeah, we know you are not committed to winning, if you were, then perhaps the Royals wouldn’t be in the bottom 1/2 in spending every year and have a legacy of cutting payroll and letting star players go. It is the commitment that fans are interested in, not the obsession.

Must be frustrating to be obsessed with winning but to have no idea how to do it.

• Nick Danger - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

He’s obsessed with winning, but he’s committed to making money.

6. gigab0t - Jul 15, 2014 at 3:52 PM

[spends 2 days in first place]

“I’M OBSESSED WITH WINNING”

7. lukedunphysscienceproject - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I have previously assured by Sports Illustrated that the Royals rise to dominance will begin with a playoff appearance in 2013 and culminate with a World Series win in 2015 and complete domination of the rest of the decade.

So we must continue to be patient and not judge this team at least until the end of the 2013 season.

• gigab0t - Jul 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Excellent name

8. zzalapski - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Obsessed with winning? Winning what, Parcheesi? Because it sure ain’t baseball games.

9. sportsdrenched - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Most of the time when a Front Office and Manager get a vote of confidence you can bet the owner is about to clean house.

However, Glass does this every year. It’s when ownership gets quiet that Dayton & Ned should look out.

10. jkcalhoun - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Obsessed with winning at least 56 games every year in the first ten years of his sole ownership, he has stepped up his obsession since then to winning at least 67.

The man isn’t even 80 yet. Just think of how much more obsessed he can still become.

11. timmons94 - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM

For a guy obsessed with winning under Moore minus 1 year sure seems like he doesn’t mind a lot of losing.
    Dayton Moore is the worst gm in baseball.. Hochevar. Moose. Colon. Bubba… Talk about misses….

12. weaselpuppy - Jul 15, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Glass is obsessed with giving lip service to winning.

13. jsally430 - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Dayton Moore I think is more deserved slot he’s made some really good moves. The brewers were in a similar spot when tots was the manager. I don’t think he’s a good fit at all.

Yet another WS run for the Giants