Jul 15, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
It’s that time of year when the Kansas City media asks Royals owner David Glass for his thoughts on the team’s underwhelming performance and this season Glass’ focus seems to be on the 48-46 team’s lack of consistency.
Here’s some of what Glass told Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star in a lengthy interview worth reading in full:
I thought we’d be more consistent. At times, we’ve played extremely well. At times, we’ve played not so well. It’s the inconsistency that has surprised me. But we’re in a good position, I think, to make a run for the playoffs. If we have a good second half, there’s no reason why we can’t be in the playoffs.
And, as usual, Glass gave votes of confidence to longtime general manager Dayton Moore and manager Ned Yost, indicating that he expects both to be back in 2015.
I think they’ve both done a good job. Dayton is one of the best baseball people I know, and I’ve been around a lot of them for the last 60 years. And I think Ned is a very good manager. … The one thing I’ve learned about Ned and Dayton both is they are as obsessed with winning as I am. All three of us have a real problem when we lose. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m not just committed to winning, I’m obsessed with winning.
If they stay above .500 this would be the Royals’ third winning season since 1995 and they’re on pace to finish with fewer than 90 wins for the 25th consecutive year. Moore has been on the job since 2006 and he hired Yost as manager in 2010.
I look forward to the 2015 version of these same quotes from Glass.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)