Jul 15, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
It’s that time of year when the Kansas City media asks Royals owner David Glass for his thoughts on the team’s underwhelming performance and this season Glass’ focus seems to be on the 48-46 team’s lack of consistency.
Here’s some of what Glass told Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star in a lengthy interview worth reading in full:
I thought we’d be more consistent. At times, we’ve played extremely well. At times, we’ve played not so well. It’s the inconsistency that has surprised me. But we’re in a good position, I think, to make a run for the playoffs. If we have a good second half, there’s no reason why we can’t be in the playoffs.
And, as usual, Glass gave votes of confidence to longtime general manager Dayton Moore and manager Ned Yost, indicating that he expects both to be back in 2015.
I think they’ve both done a good job. Dayton is one of the best baseball people I know, and I’ve been around a lot of them for the last 60 years. And I think Ned is a very good manager. … The one thing I’ve learned about Ned and Dayton both is they are as obsessed with winning as I am. All three of us have a real problem when we lose. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m not just committed to winning, I’m obsessed with winning.
If they stay above .500 this would be the Royals’ third winning season since 1995 and they’re on pace to finish with fewer than 90 wins for the 25th consecutive year. Moore has been on the job since 2006 and he hired Yost as manager in 2010.
I look forward to the 2015 version of these same quotes from Glass.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 28
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 96
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 72
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 72
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)