Jul 15, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
It’s that time of year when the Kansas City media asks Royals owner David Glass for his thoughts on the team’s underwhelming performance and this season Glass’ focus seems to be on the 48-46 team’s lack of consistency.
Here’s some of what Glass told Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star in a lengthy interview worth reading in full:
I thought we’d be more consistent. At times, we’ve played extremely well. At times, we’ve played not so well. It’s the inconsistency that has surprised me. But we’re in a good position, I think, to make a run for the playoffs. If we have a good second half, there’s no reason why we can’t be in the playoffs.
And, as usual, Glass gave votes of confidence to longtime general manager Dayton Moore and manager Ned Yost, indicating that he expects both to be back in 2015.
I think they’ve both done a good job. Dayton is one of the best baseball people I know, and I’ve been around a lot of them for the last 60 years. And I think Ned is a very good manager. … The one thing I’ve learned about Ned and Dayton both is they are as obsessed with winning as I am. All three of us have a real problem when we lose. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m not just committed to winning, I’m obsessed with winning.
If they stay above .500 this would be the Royals’ third winning season since 1995 and they’re on pace to finish with fewer than 90 wins for the 25th consecutive year. Moore has been on the job since 2006 and he hired Yost as manager in 2010.
I look forward to the 2015 version of these same quotes from Glass.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 1
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 3
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 47
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)