What does Clayton Kershaw think about being passed over for All-Star start in favor of Adam Wainwright?
Jul 15, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
Cardinals/National League manager Mike Matheny choosing his own guy, Adam Wainwright, to start tonight’s game over Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw got quite a few Dodgers fans (and basically non-Cardinals fans) angry.
But what does Kershaw actually think about being passed over for the start in favor of Wainwright, who had a slightly worse ERA and many more innings in the first half?
Well, here’s what the reigning Cy Young winner said when asked yesterday:
I didn’t have a reaction. I kind of assumed. Adam had the best first half and Mike was his manager. You’re going to pick your guy. So, I completely understand. If they had asked me if I wanted to do it, I would have said, “Of course, I want to do it. That’d be awesome.” But it’s not something that’s on my bucket list. Every year, there’s just been somebody better in the first half, so that’s the way it works.
Last season NL manager Bruce Bochy picked Mets rookie Matt Harvey over Kershaw to start the All-Star game, which Kershaw was actually pretty upset about publicly, saying “it hurts” (among other things).
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)