What does Clayton Kershaw think about being passed over for All-Star start in favor of Adam Wainwright?
Jul 15, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Cardinals/National League manager Mike Matheny choosing his own guy, Adam Wainwright, to start tonight’s game over Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw got quite a few Dodgers fans (and basically non-Cardinals fans) angry.
But what does Kershaw actually think about being passed over for the start in favor of Wainwright, who had a slightly worse ERA and many more innings in the first half?
Well, here’s what the reigning Cy Young winner said when asked yesterday:
I didn’t have a reaction. I kind of assumed. Adam had the best first half and Mike was his manager. You’re going to pick your guy. So, I completely understand. If they had asked me if I wanted to do it, I would have said, “Of course, I want to do it. That’d be awesome.” But it’s not something that’s on my bucket list. Every year, there’s just been somebody better in the first half, so that’s the way it works.
Last season NL manager Bruce Bochy picked Mets rookie Matt Harvey over Kershaw to start the All-Star game, which Kershaw was actually pretty upset about publicly, saying “it hurts” (among other things).
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)