What does Clayton Kershaw think about being passed over for All-Star start in favor of Adam Wainwright?

Jul 15, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT

clayton kershaw getty dodgers Getty Images

Cardinals/National League manager Mike Matheny choosing his own guy, Adam Wainwright, to start tonight’s game over Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw got quite a few Dodgers fans (and basically non-Cardinals fans) angry.

But what does Kershaw actually think about being passed over for the start in favor of Wainwright, who had a slightly worse ERA and many more innings in the first half?

Well, here’s what the reigning Cy Young winner said when asked yesterday:

I didn’t have a reaction. I kind of assumed. Adam had the best first half and Mike was his manager. You’re going to pick your guy. So, I completely understand. If they had asked me if I wanted to do it, I would have said, “Of course, I want to do it. That’d be awesome.” But it’s not something that’s on my bucket list. Every year, there’s just been somebody better in the first half, so that’s the way it works.

Last season NL manager Bruce Bochy picked Mets rookie Matt Harvey over Kershaw to start the All-Star game, which Kershaw was actually pretty upset about publicly, saying “it hurts” (among other things).

1. ereed1286 - Jul 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Clayton will be starting atleast 3 All-Star Games in his career.

There. I said it. 7/15/2014.

• jeffbbf - Jul 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM

This Kershaw fellow just keeps climbing up my list of favorite players.

• apkyletexas - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM

NLCS Game 6 – Matheny saw enough of Kershaw’s historic meltdown to know that no manager should ever fully trust him.

• seniorboy - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM

He is the same sonofbitch that watched his juvenile pitcher plunk Hanley in the ribs, deliberately. This manager is an asshole of the highest order and Mattingly shows no cojones by not throwing at the head of that pitcher or his ribs, or his legs, anywhere. They knew without Hanley who was hot in the stretch that they could probably win. The Cardinals remain a dirty team.I love it when they lose. Clayton is a gentleman.

• apkyletexas - Jul 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Did little Hanley REALLY get hit by a pitch in the ribs? Poor little fellow. Must be the first time that’s EVER happened in the history of baseball, I’m guessing.

I’m sure it had nothing to do with Hanley leaning over the plate or anything like that.

• mrbuttnuts - Jul 15, 2014 at 5:46 PM

This is in reply to seniorboy below because it didn’t give me the option to on his post. Absolutely the most asinine post I’ve seen on here. I see the conspiracy theorists are still in full effect and haven’t gotten over a cutter that broke a bit too far inside from last October. That was a really, really, really dumb statement. It was obvious to just about everyone that Kelley didn’t mean to hit Hanley. You want to plunk someone, you throw behind them. He threw two or three cutters that kept sneaking just a bit inside before that, and lost his command a bit. Chill.

2. yahmule - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Upon closer examination, non-issue proves to be non-issue.

• Old Gator - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Isn’t that like the sound of one hand clapping?

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Actually, it is an issue. Why isn’t Jeter starting for both teams?

3. stex52 - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Kershaw, should he stay healthy, bids fair to go to the Hall of Fame. And, in between, he seems like a very genuine person. He is likely to be known as the best of what is rapidly becoming a generation of remarkable young pitchers. Missing this start to Wainwright will not figure big in his biography.

Besides, it’s not like Wainwright didn’t have a great first half.

• bsaundaz - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:12 PM

if you remove wainwrights two horrible starts and kershaws one bad start, adam has got a better era. he also has more wins, for a team that scores less runs when he pitches. wainwright has pitched more games. who knows what would have happened? the difference is 40 innings pitched, average of 6 starts. yes kershaw has a better k/9 and whip. they both are really good pitchers, letting the pitcher for your team start the game, I have no problem with that.

4. jjschiller - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Since we all love to rip guys when they are immature, make it all about themselves, etc, I’m gonna just give a nod in Kershaw’s direction and say “Classy, kid.”

5. kaleidoscopictreats - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I say this as a Dodgers fan:

Given how good Wainwright has been this season, the media’s attempt to turn this into a story has been downright sleazy.

• Old Gator - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM

The media ought to be grateful for your understatement.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Obviously this decision is all about Derek Jeter. He hits lefties much better than righties, so Matheny is simply protecting Kershaw from the Cap’n.

Srsly though, the best three starters in the NL have been Wainwright, Cueto and Kershaw, so Matheny is splitting up his righties by inserting Kershaw in between. I am far more curious to see how Matheny handles Cueto given all of the history there (LaRue). Does he pitch at all? Give him one batter?

• cincinata - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Cueto cannot pitch in this game. He pitched (started) Sunday.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Wow, Matheny is good.

7. scatterbrian - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I’m so tired of lazy reporters. Yes, I understand there is no actual baseball to report about right now and that you have to fill column space with something All-Star related. But please stop trying to fabricate animosity between players/managers/teams/etc. You did the same thing last year. “Did you hear what Bochy said? He said it wasn’t about Harvey being a hometown pick! He basically saying Harvey is better than you!”

• chinahand11 - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM

And speaking of the fabrication of animosity, I am very surprised the reporter did not take Kersh’s words out of context, or cut and paste to make it sound as if he were immature, jealous, angry or whatever they are shooting for. Classy pitchers such as Wainwright and Kershaw must inwardly roll their eyes when they hear such questions. I’m sure if those guys are in the same room they probably try not to make eye contact so they won’t bust out laughing.

8. kingscourt25 - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM

“Classy enough to be a Cardinal” – some mouth-breathing STL Cardinals fan right now

• paperlions - Jul 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM

In fairness, the thought of having Kershaw in your team’s rotation is enough to make anyone start panting.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM

As opposed to Dodgers fans who can’t breathe through their piehole because they’ve already got a foot stuck in it?

9. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Where is the outcry from Dodgers fans? I seriously haven’t heard much of it outside of Cardinals fans proclaiming some victory over what I had no idea was deemed a battle.

• stex52 - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I saw a few people on the blog who got kind of worked up yesterday. But by and large it seems like once the media stops pumping hot air into this balloon it will deflate on its own.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I like the 3 down votes. “Yeah, up yours, Dodger fan, for proclaiming that my proclamations of your true thoughts and opinions are, like, unnecessary and not true and stuff like that. CARDINAL WAY, BRO!11″

• blacksables - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM

So Cardinal fans celebrate their guy getting the start, and Dodger fans are nowhere to be seen or heard complaining about their guy not getting the start.

Then you try and call out the Cardinal fans for being good fans?

I didn’t read anything about Cardinal fans putting down Kershaw. They just wanted Wainright, as is their right.

Shouldn’t Dodger fans have done the same?

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 15, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Look at yesterday’s thread. That’s all you need.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 15, 2014 at 4:36 PM

@Koufax .. I see multiple Dodger fans shooting their mouths off on that thread, too.

10. stabonerichard - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Starting the AS game would be a neat extra piece of flair, but the fact Kershaw is the highest paid pitcher in baseball history, with the highest annual salary of any player in history, and is widely regarded as the best pitcher in the game… this just doesn’t matter.

11. El Bravo - Jul 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM

CY > ASG Start is what he meant.

12. shawnuel - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Kershaw is a generational talent and one of the finest players in the game. Yet, his on the field accomplishments PALE in comparison to his off the field persona. There are few, finer human beings on the planet. How many multimillionaires do you know that spend a chunk of their down time building (literally) and funding orphanages in impoverished countries?

• gostlcards5 - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Agreed. Also, this is one of the things I have always liked most about Wainwright. He is a very genuine, good person. If Kershaw had been selected, Waino would have said things that were just as classy as CK.

13. agent0027 - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM

The important points about this non-story have been covered well in these comments. Just one more thing–Considering he missed 5 weeks, it’s impressive that there’s even a fake controversy about Kershaw not starting the All-Star game.

14. ramrene - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:41 PM

We are just walking through history…

Kershaw, Kershaw is History.

• historiophiliac - Jul 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Don’t be dull. Everything is history.

• paperlions - Jul 15, 2014 at 2:11 PM

You’re history!

• historiophiliac - Jul 15, 2014 at 5:51 PM

So are you!

• paperlions - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I’m historic.

• historiophiliac - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM

You old.

• paperlions - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:40 PM

THPPBBBTHTHTPPP!!!!!!!

• historiophiliac - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Back at ya, baby. BTW, y’all are going down.

• paperlions - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:42 PM

When does that game start?

• historiophiliac - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:44 PM

7pm. I’m grading for an hour so I can watch later.

PS. It was 100* on Sunday. Today was 80* and tomorrow it’s not even supposed to make that. It’s raining too. And it’s JULY!

• paperlions - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM

7 PM central?

It has been pretty humid here, not getting much effect from the giant dip in the jet stream, but we are getting some much needed rain.

I don’t think it has hit 90 yet, but it is definitely summer here. Lots of humidity lately. It is only about 75 right now, but it is really steamy out.

• historiophiliac - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

My internets is broken at home, so I have to wifi for a bit. :(

• paperlions - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Jesus. The commentariat of HBT is steadily declining to the point of futility.

• paperlions - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Damn, I hadn’t even seen the comments about Erin Andrews before my previous comment. It is worse than I thought.

• historiophiliac - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:24 AM

I know. Since they let the Yahoos in, it’s not as good. Too many pigs and not enough silliness. Urgh.

• paperlions - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM

That comment pissed me off so much I actually went back and clicked the report comment button, which I don’t think I have ever done before.

• historiophiliac - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:38 AM

I really do think it’s gotten worse in the last year or so. :(

• paperlions - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:41 AM

It has….but it is always worst during “events”…playoffs, ASG, particular scandals…..when it is just baseball as usual, it is only bad, not horrible.

• historiophiliac - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:44 AM

The night trolls are worse too. They must come out when their mommas go to bed.

15. stlouis1baseball - Jul 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I saw a few Dodgers fans bitching, moaning, etc…
    But to their credit…most of the fan base has been pretty damn diplomatic.
    This fake outrage, drama, etc… is starting to wear thin.

You are better than that Hardballtalk. You really are. At least, you used to be.

16. acdc84 - Jul 15, 2014 at 6:27 PM

“Every year, there’s just been somebody better in the first half, so that’s the way it works.”

ZING!! Kershaw seems happy to let Wainwright enjoy the All-Star start, as he’ll be collecting his third Cy Young when the year is over. Not a bad tradeoff for the kid!

17. sasquash20 - Jul 15, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Waino is a stud, and should start the ALLSTAR game. Im glad he fully recovered from his TJ surgery. That being said I think Kershaw is the best player in baseball, and I dont even think its close. Kid is just 26, and if he stays healthy and keeps up this level of play he will be one of the best ever

All the trade deadline news to know