Jul 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
During his pregame press conference American League manager John Farrell revealed the plan for Derek Jeter tonight, saying he expects to give the retiring Yankees shortstop two at-bats before removing him from the game in the top of the fourth inning.
As for a sendoff, Farrell said he plans to send reserve Alexei Ramirez of the White Sox out to take Jeter’s spot at shortstop.
National League starting catcher Jonathan Lucroy of the Brewers has also said he plans to step away from the plate and encourage the fans at Target Field to give Jeter a lengthy salute prior to his at-bat leading off the first inning.
So count on at least two standing ovations for Jeter in his final All-Star Game.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)