Jul 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
During his pregame press conference American League manager John Farrell revealed the plan for Derek Jeter tonight, saying he expects to give the retiring Yankees shortstop two at-bats before removing him from the game in the top of the fourth inning.
As for a sendoff, Farrell said he plans to send reserve Alexei Ramirez of the White Sox out to take Jeter’s spot at shortstop.
National League starting catcher Jonathan Lucroy of the Brewers has also said he plans to step away from the plate and encourage the fans at Target Field to give Jeter a lengthy salute prior to his at-bat leading off the first inning.
So count on at least two standing ovations for Jeter in his final All-Star Game.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 109
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 153
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)