Jul 15, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Predictably none of the other 29 teams wanted anything to do with Alfonso Soriano’s contract on the waiver wire, so the 38-year-old went unclaimed after being designated for assignment by the Yankees last week and has now been released.
Soriano was fantastic for the Yankees as a midseason pickup last year, smacking 17 homers in 58 games, but this year he hit just .227 with six homers and a .611 OPS in 67 games as one of the worst regulars in baseball. He’s always had awful strike zone control, but a 71/6 K/BB ratio suggests he may simply be washed up at some point.
Still, now that he’s available for the minimum salary rather than $18 million quite a few teams should probably kick the tires on Soriano as a part-timer or bench bat. Assuming he still wants to play, of course. There’s been some speculation that he may simply retire after 16 seasons, 1,975 games, and 412 homers.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)