And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Jul 16, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT

Oh, please. You know what happened in the All-Star Game. AL 5, NL 3. Big whoop.

The best thing that happened last night, however, was this tweet:

On the one hand, let’s cut whoever tweeted this some slack. Not everyone is a baseball freak like we are. Maybe part of their brain was thinking “Derek Jeter” and another part was thinking “Michael Jordan” and this just plopped out. It happens.

On the other hand, whoa. Mistakes happen — God, I know they do — but my page doesn’t feature Edward R. Murrow on it and go out to millions. People obviously had fun with this after it happened during the game. Mostly by noting that Michael Jeter was a real person. An actor, comedian, voiceover artist and stuff. He was on that show “Evening Shade” and  was Mr. Noodle on Elmo’s World and was in Jurassic Park 3 and stuff. More than laugh at this, people in my Twitter timeline were bummed to find out that he was a “that guy” who died in 2003. But it did set the web on fire:

I think that deserves to be ranked higher than Reynolds and Selig and all of that other stuff. Mostly because it’s far more interesting.

And let none of us be judged as harshly in life as we are on our worst day. Here’s hoping the CBS person who tweeted that thing got a good laugh out of it and had their boss buy them a “man, life can suck sometimes” beer afterward.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:33 AM

If journalists, fans, and players DIDN’T make mistakes you’d be out of a job, Calcaterra.

• nbjays - Jul 17, 2014 at 7:33 AM

And if Craig was out of a job, the rest of us would have to find something else to do besides come on here and bitch about him doing his job.

2. southpaw2k - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Michael Jeter’s best role was in The Green Mile. But I wish his ghost would have been able to take a bow at the game last night.

• yahmule - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Poor Mr Jingles.

• southpaw2k - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:51 PM

He should have been allowed to go to Mouseland.

• southpaw2k - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Errrr….make that Mouseville.

• RickyB - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I thought his best role came in The Fisher King. GREAT movie.

3. maddog11896 - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Ironically, it was when Wainwright gave up those runs that I turned the game off, got bored and decided to watch a movie. Watch Open Range (featuring Michael Jeter), go on twitter to check the score and Michael Jeter is trending. For a few moments I honestly thought it was because of me.

• hittfamily - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:33 PM

You quit watching in the first inning to watch open range? Why are you even commenting about baseball?

4. pkers - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Frankly, I was a little bummed that George Will was standing next to Bud Selig in his box while they gave Jeter his ovation when he left in the fourth inning.

• Marty McKee - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:39 AM

I was bummed that Fox stopped the game so Ken Rosenthal could interview Boring Bud Selig about something boring, while neglecting to even mention that Henry Aaron was sitting right next to him. Why are you interviewing Bud Selig when Hank Aaron IS RIGHT THERE?!

And then, yeah, later they showed Will and LaRussa up there with Selig. Must have been a teabagger convention.

• Old Gator - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Naahhh, not enough drooling going on for a teabagger convention.

5. historiophiliac - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Also, in case you missed it, it took Trout 2 AB’s to get 2 RBI’s while Miggy got 2 RBI’s in one. But Trout was MVP. I guess Trout is the new inefficiency.

• historiophiliac - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Also, His Heterochromianess, y’all!

• Nick Danger - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM

His Heterochromianess? Huh?

• Old Gator - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM

No anchovies? You’ve got the wrong His Heterochromianness! He spells his name – Scherzer!

• Nick Danger - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:48 PM

HAH! I’d offer you my services, Mr. Gator, but you appear to have a third eye of your own.

6. chad10 - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Tyler Clippard!

• Old Gator - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Heisenbergian indeterminacy!

7. sdelmonte - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I hope you aren’t somehow confusing Derek Jeter, one of the classiest and more mature athletes around, with Michael Jordan, an all time great but someone who I would never consider either mature or classy. Surely you meant to confuse Jetes with Magic Johnson or LeBron.

• Bob Loblaw - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I would say that Derek Jeter is more like the James Worthy of MLB. Multiple rings, and a big part of winning them, but never really the best player on his team or in MLB.

Babe Ruth would be the better comparison to Michael Jordan. Jeter isn’t in the same league as Jordan. Jordan is the greatest NBA player of all time. Jeter isn’t even the best ever at his own position.

8. Marty McKee - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Yeah, it’s a mistake, but it’s also a mistake made by CBS News, a news organization, an organization that exists only to present facts, which is not supposed to make a mistake like this. Of course, CBS News and Lara Logan made up an entire news story about Benghazi for 60 Minutes, so I guess their booting of a Jeter tweet is puny in comparison.

• wonkypenguin - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Benghazi! I think I just won conservative bingo! EVERYBODY DRINK!

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM

It’s 10:48 in the morning, but sure why not!

9. Alex K - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:44 AM

My favorite thing last night was the Best Fans in Baseball twitter feed. Lots of people blaming Lucroy for Wainwright getting knocked around.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Interesting. Kershaw did alright with Lucroy catching.

10. happytwinsfan - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Thank God that cheesy show presenting itself as a baseball game is over, and hopefully the embarrassingly transparent Jeter Farewell marketing construct has hit its apex and will start to recede.

On to the rest of the season. If the Twins play 700 ball the rest of the way they finish with 91 or 92 wins. If the Tigers play 500 ball the rest of the way they finish with 89 wins. Seems doable.

• historiophiliac - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Miggy went boom!

• happytwinsfan - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM

We shall see which team Miggy’s boom gives home field advantage to.

• natstowngreg - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Sigh, so much for the trendy pre-season “Nats to win World Series” picks.

11. elvin2014 - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Austin Karp @AustinKarp · 55 min
    MLB All-Star Game earned 8.0 overnight rating on Fox. 8.1 in both 2013 and 2012. Peaked early with Jeter in the game. Tune-in up 14%

Austin Karp @AustinKarp · 53 min
    Fox gets another win in primetime with All Star game. Primetime-only portion of the game was actually even with 2013 game in overnights

• happytwinsfan - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Please don’t tell me that that God awful rendition of Forever Young followed by the obligatory jet flyover spiked the ratings.

12. natstowngreg - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM

As an employee of NBC, anything Craig says about CBS is suspect. Never mind that he’s right.

As for the public idolization of Derek Jeter last night, I got the sense he was slightly embarrassed. Maybe it’s just me, wanting to believe that because it fits my view of the man’s character. But I got the same feeling when Cal Ripken got the idolization treatment several All-Star Games ago.

13. uwsptke - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I have two young kids under the age of four, so I must point out that Michael Jeter actually portrayed “Mr. Noodle’s brother Mister Noodle.” I didn’t realize that the episodes in circulation are that old, since I had no idea he had even passed.

• mplsjoe - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Wait, Mr. Noodle’s Brother Mr. Noodle is dead? How am I going to tell my kids?

• yahmule - Jul 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Show them the obituary.

• uwsptke - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I don’t know. I’m still waiting on an explanation from my parents on what happened to Mr. Hooper 30 years later.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS