Aroldis Chapman tweaked his injured hamstring during the All-Star Game

Jul 16, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT

aroldis chapman getty Getty Images

Reds closer Aroldis Chapman retired both batters he faced in last night’s All-Star Game on a total of just five pitches, but while covering first base on Kyle Seager‘s eighth-inning ground out he came up limping.

Chapman had trouble getting all the way to first base and then walked off the field very gingerly, telling reporters afterward that he tweaked a right hamstring injury that has been giving him problems for a while now:

I’m not 100 percent ready to run full speed. I kind of hesitated a little bit and I just kind of took it easy to go to first. I will be fine. I’ve been pitching through it for a while. As long as I don’t have to run, it feels good to pitch.

Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Chapman suffered the initial injury on July 6 while shagging balls in the outfield before the game. Since then he’s thrown five scoreless innings while allowing one hit and striking out 13 of the 18 batters he’s faced. So yeah, I’d say he’s been doing OK pitching through the injury.

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on FridayHere’s the FanDuel link.

1. El Bravo - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Keep striking dudes out. No running required. I like that.

2. stoutfiles - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM

If he had just relaxed on the mound and grooved pitches like Wainwright this wouldn’t have happened.

3. renaado - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM

He still needs to cover first base, it definitely puts some pressure for the infielders if he can’t run like he supposed to be…

4. randygnyc - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I’d be bunting like crazy on him

• perryt200 - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I would be bunting too, but then wonder if it is against the unwritten rules.

• roundballsquarebox24 - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Yes, him having a hard time defending his position would tempt most batters to lay one down on him and force him to make a play. But at the same time It is not so easy to square up in front of the plate when you know that some triple-digit heat is coming right through that zone. Even when guys are just standing in the box waiting for one of his pitches most of them look uneasy at the plate. I have never faced 103 mph fastballs but I have faced some hard throwers and I imagine that squaring up to bunt on Chapman has to be one scary at bat! Obviously Major League hitters can definitely lay one down on him but I tend to believe that it is not as simple as bunting on your average pitcher

A managerial overanalysis epidemic