Jul 16, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Brewers shortstop Jean Segura flew home to the Dominican Republic last week — a couple of days before the All-Star break — after his nine-month-old son Janniel passed away suddenly from an illness. It’s obviously a terrible tragedy and the Brewers are going to give him all the time he needs to mourn, but Segura must be shifted from the bereavement list to the restricted list if he doesn’t return on Friday and so the club is trying to figure out some logistics.
However, reaching Segura is proving difficult.
“I’ve made phone calls today to try to make contact with him,” Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on Wednesday afternoon. “I haven’t been able to make contact at this time. I’m hoping to find out today. We’ve left messages but we haven’t heard back. We just don’t know right now. … There are a lot of unknowns here. Whatever Jean decides, we will support him. And we know his teammates will be there for him, too.”
Keep the Segura family in your thoughts.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)