Brewers haven’t been able to contact Jean Segura, who lost his nine-month-old son last week

Jul 16, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

jean segura getty Getty Images

Brewers shortstop Jean Segura flew home to the Dominican Republic last week — a couple of days before the All-Star break — after his nine-month-old son Janniel passed away suddenly from an illness. It’s obviously a terrible tragedy and the Brewers are going to give him all the time he needs to mourn, but Segura must be shifted from the bereavement list to the restricted list if he doesn’t return on Friday and so the club is trying to figure out some logistics.

However, reaching Segura is proving difficult.

“I’ve made phone calls today to try to make contact with him,” Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on Wednesday afternoon. “I haven’t been able to make contact at this time. I’m hoping to find out today. We’ve left messages but we haven’t heard back. We just don’t know right now. … There are a lot of unknowns here. Whatever Jean decides, we will support him. And we know his teammates will be there for him, too.”

Keep the Segura family in your thoughts.

1. 606rooster - Jul 16, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Well hopefully he soon finds him

2. mrpinkca - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I feel like they need to allow for more time on the bereavement list if you’ve lost a child. It’s not reasonable to expect a player to be back playing baseball every day 7 games after they’ve lost a child.

• Kevin S. - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM

They then move you to the restricted list. I think it was pretty clear the Brewers aren’t trying to rush Segura back – only that they’re seeking guidance from him on what he needs.

3. clownsfan - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:11 PM

That’s horrible. God only knows what he’s & his family are going through right now.

4. bkertz - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Dear Media: Please leave this story alone. The man lost his son. Some things should be left alone.

• thebadguyswon - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Yeah no kidding huh? Shame on every outlet even reporting this. A-holes.

• sabatimus - Jul 17, 2014 at 12:20 AM

That’s ok. Don’t read it.

• Drew Silva - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I don’t think that’s fair. Tragic story — people still want to know about it.

Doesn’t give reporters joy to fish for details about this kind of stuff, but part of the gig.

• yahmule - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

There was nothing remotely disrespectful about the way this was handled.

• thebadguyswon - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Who says people want to know about it? Some idiot editor? Some topics should be off limits. But I realize that the reality is that’s not the case anymore.

• bkertz - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Why does it have to be fair? Just because people want to know about it doesn’t mean it has to be reported. His son passed away and he is grieving. Leave it at that.

• thebadguyswon - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Drew – I wasn’t singling you out. I know HBT usually recirculates news posted by other sources. I think it was in poor taste for the Sentinel to even bring it up again. When/if he gets back with the team, they should report on that and leave the rest alone.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM

No one is (or at least should be) trying to ferret out details or photos of the man’s grief. This story here is merely an update on the Brewers trying to get in touch with him.

5. Cortez>Sapp - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Come back when you’re ready, take care of your family first. Prayers for you and your family!

6. sabatimus - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I hope the not-being-able-to-contact-him thing is something pedestrian :/

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I’m assuming he’s with his family grieving. Answering the phone is, probably, not really Segura’s concern.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Grieving does not mean completely nonfunctional. There are still lots of phone calls required to deal with the myriad details after a death, especially one that is unexpected. Relatives and friends, both local and far away, offering support. Funerals do not plan themselves. Lots of phone calls and texts. Trust me, I recently went through this.

• sabatimus - Jul 17, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Yeah that’s what I hope: Segura’s taking his time being with family and coping.

• indaburg - Jul 17, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I’m very sorry you had to experience that, nothanks. It’s terrible.

There is such a thing as dysfunctional grieving. Not to make any assumptions about Segura–I obviously have no idea what exactly he is feeling–but some people do become nonfunctional or dysfunctional due to their grief. I’ve seen it happen. People react differently.

I hope Segura’s okay.

7. hojo20 - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Put him on the 60 day DL. He has a .582 OPS so it’s not like the Brewers need him.

8. bigmeechy74 - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Everyone chime in with classy comments to get thumbs ups

9. cubfan531 - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Depending on how long he needs, a DL trip could be in order. I recall Tim Worrell going on the DL with depression, and it’d seem hard to argue that Segura wouldn’t be eligible for the same treatment.

10. greej1938l - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Drew,
    Thanks for sharing. I’m a huge Segura fan and may not have known otherwise. I appreciate you letting others know that our support for him is needed.

11. zackd2 - Jul 17, 2014 at 3:07 AM

Can’t you say “we’ve been in contact with his agent while he works through this horrible personal situation, he will return when ready”?

12. mikhelb - Jul 17, 2014 at 3:19 AM

Sometimes when those tragedies occur it is best for the player to take some time off to mourn and be ready to play as soon as he feels right, while playing can heal and take his mind off of that horrible event, it can also give him trouble and make him desperate.

A few years ago, ten to be exact, Mariano Rivera lost a couple of his family members while they were working in Mariano’s home in Panamá, it was maybe the only time I have ever seen Mariano lost in the mound, so much that he blew the championship series to the bosox and later acknowledged he could not get rid of the thought of his family members dead, and that it was a very big distraction for him, though he also said it was not an excuse (when he was a kid he saw I think it was his uncle, die in front of him while they were fishing in a small boat in Panamá, at least thats what it was told in that made for tv movie of Mariano that aired in Panamá, chronicled by Mo).

13. Barb Caffrey - Jul 17, 2014 at 4:51 AM

I just hope Jean Segura and his family will be OK.

Some things transcend sports.

14. bigmeechy74 - Jul 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I guess maybe he actually cares about this child and knows him. That makes it so much worse for him to deal with. Most professional athletes have several kids by different women strewn across the continent. Kinda like when everyone was saying “prayers for adrian peterson” even though he refused to acknowledge the kid when he was alive

• yahmule - Jul 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM

You’re a really disgusting person.

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 17, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I need to amend the “most” part but everything else I said was accurate. If you don’t like acknowledging that then oh well

• nategearhart - Jul 17, 2014 at 2:25 PM

It’s nitpicky, but do you honestly believe that “most” pro athletes have illegitimate kids all over the place? Like, more than 50%?

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 17, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I shouldn’t have said most. You are right. But there are a hell off a lot of them. The % probably dwarfs any other profession

15. jilljulias - Jul 17, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Actually, a Brewers website is reporting he’s back in Milwaukee. They will be activating him either Friday or Saturday.

Word is he feels he’s better able to cope by getting back to his regular routine. If that proves difficult for him, the Brewers are prepared to allow him to leave the team again.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2833)