Jul 16, 2014, 6:43 PM EST
Brewers shortstop Jean Segura flew home to the Dominican Republic last week — a couple of days before the All-Star break — after his nine-month-old son Janniel passed away suddenly from an illness. It’s obviously a terrible tragedy and the Brewers are going to give him all the time he needs to mourn, but Segura must be shifted from the bereavement list to the restricted list if he doesn’t return on Friday and so the club is trying to figure out some logistics.
However, reaching Segura is proving difficult.
“I’ve made phone calls today to try to make contact with him,” Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on Wednesday afternoon. “I haven’t been able to make contact at this time. I’m hoping to find out today. We’ve left messages but we haven’t heard back. We just don’t know right now. … There are a lot of unknowns here. Whatever Jean decides, we will support him. And we know his teammates will be there for him, too.”
Keep the Segura family in your thoughts.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)