Jul 16, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Brewers shortstop Jean Segura flew home to the Dominican Republic last week — a couple of days before the All-Star break — after his nine-month-old son Janniel passed away suddenly from an illness. It’s obviously a terrible tragedy and the Brewers are going to give him all the time he needs to mourn, but Segura must be shifted from the bereavement list to the restricted list if he doesn’t return on Friday and so the club is trying to figure out some logistics.
However, reaching Segura is proving difficult.
“I’ve made phone calls today to try to make contact with him,” Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on Wednesday afternoon. “I haven’t been able to make contact at this time. I’m hoping to find out today. We’ve left messages but we haven’t heard back. We just don’t know right now. … There are a lot of unknowns here. Whatever Jean decides, we will support him. And we know his teammates will be there for him, too.”
Keep the Segura family in your thoughts.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)