Jul 16, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
Carlos Ruiz has been on the disabled list since suffering a concussion on June 26, but the Phillies catcher has been cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment.
CSNPhilly.com reports that Ruiz will be in the lineup Thursday night at Single-A Clearwater and barring a setback he could be ready to return from the DL at some point next week.
That wouldn’t leave enough time for Ruiz to show contending teams that he’s healthy enough to be a July 31 trade pickup, but in the first season of a three-year, $26 million contract he could be moved during the August waiver trading period and the Phillies might have to eat some salary to get a deal done anyway.
Before the concussion Ruiz was doing his usual thing at the plate, hitting .257 with two homers and nearly as many walks (31) as strikeouts (35) in 66 games for a strong .363 on-base percentage and .719 OPS. When healthy he remains one of the best catchers in baseball, but at age 35 and with his injury and contract the trade market could be limited.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 22
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 16
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)