MLB declines to honor Tony Gwynn at All-Star Game

Jul 16, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

Tony Gwynn Tony Gwynn

Among players to debut since 1970, only Cal Ripken Jr. went to more All-Star Games than Tony Gwynn’s 15. Yet MLB chose not to honor the departed Hall of Famer during Tuesday’s contest at Target Field.

Instead, what we got during FOX’s All-Star Game broadcast was all of the Derek Jeter we could handle, a performance of Forever Young from Idina Menzel, and a Ken Rosenthal interview with commissioner Bud Selig that delayed the start of an inning. Obviously, the game wasn’t being played in San Diego or even a National League city, so perhaps the fans at Target wouldn’t have been so moved by a Gwynn ceremony. Or maybe they would have been. After all, they had their own Hall of Fame outfielder die young when Kirby Puckett passed on at 45.

UPDATE: FOX says it ran a feature on Gwynn

Gwynn died June 16 at age 54 after battling salivary gland cancer. A brief video tribute and a moment for silence was the bare minimum MLB should have done in his memory tonight. Flying in Phillies outfielder Tony Gwynn Jr., if he were amenable, would have been a nice touch, too. Why MLB did nothing at all is a question that needs to be asked of Selig next time he’s interviewed.

1. tfbuckfutter - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM

I feel like you should have used a picture of Jeter in this article instead of that other guy.

Show some respect. What part of Jeter’s last all star game don’t you get?

Also Derek Jeter never chewed tobacco. Because he respects his body as much as he respects the game. Which is an unparalleled amount.

• urallstupid - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM

dead players dont do anything for the MLB. jeter on the other hand is still alive and can still make MLB money.

• slicklee95 - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:57 AM

He’ll be retired so how wil h make MLB money? Any money he makes he will keep smh!

• darman55 - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:37 AM

You have that for a name, and then act self-righteous about “respecting one’s body?” And we get it was Jeter’s last all-star game. But Fox didn’t need to turn into a “let’s treat Jeter like he’s Babe Ruth” night. And I like Jeter a lot. He’s one guy who deserves a lot of respect.

• clemente2 - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:12 AM

For all you haters—tfb is being droll, too droll for the hoi polloi, but droll nevertheless.

• sabatimus - Jul 16, 2014 at 5:34 AM

Yep, this is exactly tfb’s kinda humor, for the uninitiated.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 16, 2014 at 6:50 AM

Yeah. Nothing FuttBucker says is ever out of line. It’s even great when he picks on Jews for no reason.

That guy!!! So cray-cray.

• uwsptke - Jul 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM

In the article that you’re referring to, TFB made a poor attempt at humor with some of D. Young’s past indiscretions (anti-semitic remarks) that failed to hit the mark. His target obviously wasn’t Jews. Let it go.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM

@Koufax … please go back to whining about Kershaw and the Dodgers.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM

@koufaxmitzvah I don’t pick on Jews. I pick on people who pick on Jews.

Because, to be honest, that’s one of the dumbest prejudices I can even comprehend.

In fact, unless someone is wearing Orthodox garb, or has a really really super obviously Jewish name or features, it doesn’t even register to me that they may or may not be Jewish because I honestly couldn’t care if they are or they aren’t. And even if they DO “look” Jewish or are named Silvermanbergstein all it registers as is “that person’s Jewish” like “that person’s blonde”.

The only group of people I have any prejudice against are dildos like Delmon who display ignorance and intolerance.

And the Swedes. I hate the Swedes.

• Ayase Yano - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Ban tobacco, end of story. Avoid lung cancer at all cost.

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 16, 2014 at 5:02 AM

Thumbs downs by RJ Reynolds.

• Ayase Yano - Jul 16, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Don’t give a damn.

• 4cornersfan - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Tobacco is a dirty weed.
        I like it.
        It satisfies no normal need.
        I like it.
        It makes you thin, it makes you lean,
        It takes the hair right off your bean.
        It’s the worst darn stuff I’ve ever seen.
        I like it.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I can’t wait for Papi’s last ASG and him bitching at an official scorer one more time.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I just want to say to everyone involved in responding to my comment, since I don’t have the time or focus to address you all individually….every single one of you brought me some degree of joy with your comments for a multitude of different reasons.

Thank you all.

2. chill1184 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Not only a tribute for Gwynn but they should’ve at least done something for Ralph Kiner and Don Zimmer as well.

• clydeserra - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:17 AM

gets you thinking doesn’t it? Maybe there should be an in memorium thing like at the oscars.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Actually, you could do that in advance, as part of the Fan Experience. Especially if you had the HR Derby, etc., on Saturday and the ASG on Sunday, which is a no-brainer.

• petey1999 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Right. And let’s not forget Jim Brosnan, Jerry Coleman, Jim Fregosi, Bob Welch and the immortal Roberto Vargas!

• blacksables - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:59 AM

So in other words, they didn’t do anything for anyone, but it’s wrong that they didn’t do it for Gwynn?

More non-controversy created for the sake of killing electrons.

Maybe bloggers should take a break also.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 16, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Or…. They should have done something for all of them. How hard would that have been to fit into a 3.5 hour broadcast?

Maybe Hollywood does treat their hairdressers than MLB treats its ballplayers.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM

*better

• 4cornersfan - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:26 AM

blacksables: I don’t think you can actually kill an electron, it’s an elementary particle. I suppose you could destroy it in a sense by converting it to energy under energy/matter equivalency, but that involves fusion or fission or a particle accelerator, which seems a little extreme just to make a point in a blog.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:09 AM

The sad part is TV would eat it up immediately. They’d probably bump something else off the schedule to accommodate this sort of thing.

• yahmule - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:36 AM

4cornersfan: ” I don’t think you can actually kill an electron, it’s an elementary particle. I suppose you could destroy it in a sense by converting it to energy under energy/matter equivalency, but that involves fusion or fission or a particle accelerator, which seems a little extreme just to make a point in a blog.”

Who let the smart guy in?

3. dickclydesdale - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Very low class move from a punk like Selig & the attention egomaniac Jeter. Screw them both! Gwynn should have been honored.

• brandotho - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:58 AM

You act like it’s Jeter’s fault MLB didn’t even mention Gwynn, which is totally irresponsible. “Attention egomaniac”? Do you know him?

4. nicofthenorthstar - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Classless. Oh well, the all star game is a joke anyway.

5. kingscourt25 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:15 AM

When is baseball’s TV contract up? They should really go back to NBC or CBS. FOX only cares about football.

• infieldhit - Jul 16, 2014 at 3:14 AM

Yeah, but that goes for everyone.

6. petey1999 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:22 AM

“If anybody talks about a dead guy during a broadcast, I’ll sack ‘em. I’m sick of dead guys. Whenever I turn on baseball, all I hear about is dead guys. If I hear a name, I’m going to ask: ‘Is he dead?’ And if he is, you’re fired.” – Fox Sports President David Hill in The Cultural Encyclopedia of Baseball (Jonathan Fraser Light, 2005)

• darman55 - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Probably part of those same clowns who back in the day for Monday Night Football, had the philosophy of “screw the regular fan. We couldn’t care less about them.”

7. calicokiller49 - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Shameful

8. acinsd - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:42 AM

But you seem to forget the charming story of Rod Carew hitting with a chew in that they regaled us with. A true double slap in the face.

• infieldhit - Jul 16, 2014 at 3:16 AM

And during Farrell’s interview, his coach next to him kept spitting tobacco juice to the ground. Kinda stomach-turning.

9. heyyouwhatdoyouthinkyouredoingthere - Jul 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM

For what it’s worth, they did have brief video tributes for both Gwynn and Kiner during the Home Run Derby, so it’s not as if they were ignored altogether.

• frank433 - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Except to those who ignored the Derby altogether.

• heyyouwhatdoyouthinkyouredoingthere - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Touche lol

• chill1184 - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Any chance you got a link for that? I cant seem to find them on MLBs website

10. seanwasamarine - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:19 AM

I’m sure Gwynn would rather have the focus to be on the game and players. That’s the kind of person he was.

11. jklinck1 - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:19 AM

st another classless Bud Selig move. If nothing else Fox could have, with the MLB’s permission, very easily put together an “In Memoriam” like the Oscars and Emmys do to honor all of the MLB greats that we have lost. they could have even run it simultaneously in the stadium for all to see. Bud Selig is a waste and I will be glad to see him go as commissioner after this season!

• chinahand11 - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:40 AM

I like the idea of an “In Memoriam” show during the ASG. Baseball Digest lists the departed every year, so do other magazines. And Gwynn was a class act known and loved by almost everyone, players and fans. Just a good guy, a great guy. Plus he could hit a shot through the 5.5 right after rolling out of bed. .338 lifetime is not to be ignored by the commish!

• yahmule - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Bud Selig never gave Tony Gwynn a second thought. In case some people haven’t noticed, he’s not a baseball fan. I still remember the look on Troy Glaus’ face when the commissioner of MLB awarded the World Series MVP Award to him and mispronounced his name.

I’ll bet they take the time at the next All Star Game to kiss Bud’s wrinkled old ass for a few minutes.

12. udub - Jul 16, 2014 at 1:39 AM

This article should not have been written until all the answers are known. It’s obvious purpose is to insinuate MLB and of course evil money grubbing Bud Selig are at fault. Any number of things could be why there was no tribute. Maybe MLB asked the Gwynn family and they chose to have it this way. Maybe because the season is going on still they plan on having a tribute at the World Series because, unfortunately, someone else connected to baseball might pass in the 2nd half of the season.

Maybe baseball messed up, maybe they have a plan. Don’t know unless the research is done first

• Old Gator - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:01 AM

I don’t think the insinuation here is that Selig is “money grubbing,” just that he’s got no class. In which matter I concur, and I, too, will be among the legions of fans who will be more than happy to be rid of him.

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 16, 2014 at 5:04 AM

Are you an insomniac, too?

• Old Gator - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM

No, just antecrepuscular.

• yahmule - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Bud is a ****.

13. sabatimus - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:13 AM

I’m glad I had the sound off the whole time. I knew it’d be The Derek Jeter Fellatio Festival, and to hell with all else.

• sabatimus - Jul 16, 2014 at 4:16 AM

Also, I understand why Jeter made the team–they wanted to make the send-off complete. But doing so only dilutes what it takes to be an All-Star in a given season. Jeter does not have All-Star stats this year. But the ASG has been a popularity contest for quite some time, so I don’t see this kind of thing changing anytime soon.

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 16, 2014 at 5:06 AM

Red Sox fans are a little biased against Jeter. Just sayin’.

• sabatimus - Jul 16, 2014 at 5:41 AM

In at least the last bunch of years, I haven’t heard a single Sox fan (on the radio or otherwise) bash Jeter or think that he’s not deserving of the HOF. He certainly is. I take part of that back, actually: people think he’s a terrible overrated shortstop due to his lack of range. But I don’t hate Jeter, I’ve only heard people call him a class act regardless of affiliation. And I’ve been known to listen to WEEI, even if the only intelligent people on there seem to be Dale Arnold (who makes mistakes a lot but owns them) and Michael Holley.

My issue is with, as I indicated, media masturbation and the fact that the ASG is diluted.

14. ch0psuey - Jul 16, 2014 at 5:26 AM

I like how Selig said how fair all divisions are this year economically. Perhaps he has forgotten about the NL West. Hrmmm.

15. serbingood - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Let’s not leave out a shout out to the umpires. Maybe a high-light reel of the late great Angel Hernandez’ greatest correct calls. What’s that, he’s still alive and active in the bigs? Ah snap, I guess that Mr. Hernandez will have to wait a bit until he gets his moment of tribute during an ASG, WS or The Big Bang Theory. /s

• nbjays - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Plus, they are still searching for a correct call to highlight.

16. AskADoctor - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:45 AM

The next time Selig is interviewed, the network should be grounded for a year, with no phone or internet.

17. 76ersdoubletank - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

The MLB did not do anything because the way we honor our stars is in complete correlation to the “hype machine” that is established by the media over time.

Gwynn was a great player who played in a smaller market, and after retiring was not in everyone’s face for attention. Since no one was clamoring for it to begin with last night, the MLB can just not do anything and feel fine.

On the flip side, the Jeter stuff was ridiculous. He’s been a great player, but because he plays in NY and the media loves NY and Jeter, the hype machine turned the All-Star game into the Jeter show, similar to how Sports Center seems to have sold the early weeks telecasts to Lebron James and his supporters, as if nothing else was happening in sports.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, it sucks that they could not mention one word about a 15 time All-Star, and a generally good guy. One minute less of establishing Jeter a greek god would have done it.

• yahmule - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Tony made the All Star team 15 times in a 16 year span. The year he was left off the team, in 1998, he wound up winning his third of eight batting titles and finishing 11th in MVP voting.

• langsterthegangster - Jul 16, 2014 at 10:01 PM

The most amazing stat for me (and correct me if I’m wrong) is that he averaged only 22 K’s per season!

18. jamnew44 - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:18 AM

At the Oscars every year, they run a short “in memoriam” segment for actors who pass during the year. MLB could have done this for the ballplayers lost during the year before the Jeter festivities got started. The fact that they didn’t doesn’t surprise me. Selig reign as Commissioner has not been known for its class.

19. noffy32 - Jul 16, 2014 at 8:38 AM

If Jeter was a top notch guy then maybe he could have said something about Tony. Nah, egomaniacs don’t do that.

20. paperlions - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Seriously?

Gwynn was a fantastic player and person. But we already had an entire week of tributes to Gwynn when he died. In addition, when he retired, he was added to the All-Star team in recognition of his career.

Every team throughout baseball had moments of silence for Gwynn’s passing and tributes at games and prior to broadcasts. Every one. What would be the point of doing yet another one just because it is the ASG?

21. wpjohnson - Jul 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM

they couldn’t take the cameras off of Jeter long enough to honor Gwynn or anyone else. The whole affair was a bit sickening.

22. langsterthegangster - Jul 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM

An In Memorium segment would have been nice. You could have replaced the Teacher’s segment and Adele Dazim’s extraordinarily disgusting tongue. And don’t blame Jeter; he really didn’t seem to want any of the attention. I think he wants to play ball, get done with the season, and find his next bikini model….God Bless Him!!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto