Jul 16, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
The last-place Rangers have started to sell off veterans, trading reliever Jason Frasor to the Royals for minor leaguer Spencer Patton.
Frasor has a lengthy track record as a solid setup man with a sub-3.70 ERA in five of the past six years, including a 3.34 ERA and 30/14 K/BB ratio in 30 innings this season at age 36. He’s owed around $750,000 for the remainder of this season as part of a cheap one-year deal.
Patton is a 26-year-old Triple-A reliever, so there isn’t a whole lot of upside to be had, but he does have 60 strikeouts in 47 innings this season and 303 strikeouts in 225 innings as a pro. He could potentially step into Frasor’s old role in the Rangers’ bullpen and give Texas some value in 2015 and beyond.
Expect the Rangers to shop left-hander Neal Cotts next, as he’s another impending free agent reliever who could help contenders down the stretch.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 67
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)