Jul 17, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Nationals infielder Anthony Rendon was one of the league’s best players in the first half, hitting .287 with 13 homers and an .834 OPS while playing good defense at two positions, but he failed to make the All-Star team and … well, that’s just fine with him.
Rendon told Jason Butt of the Washington Post that he enjoyed the vacation because “we have a long season ahead.” As for the All-Star festivities, the 24-year-old revealed that he never watched the All-Star game as a kid and in fact he doesn’t really like watching baseball, period.
Rendon said he rarely watches the sport, preferring programs on networks such as the History channel instead. “I don’t watch baseball — it’s too long and boring,” he said.
In addition, Rendon and his family have a rule that they won’t talk about baseball when he visits. It’s clear Rendon, 24, has been able to separate his business from his personal life.
I tried to institute a similar rule within my family, banning them from discussing blogging in my presence, but my mom absolutely refuses to ask “what’s Craig like?” and “is D.J. as handsome in person?” and “does Drew really have an Oscar Taveras poster above his bed?”
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)