Jul 17, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Nationals infielder Anthony Rendon was one of the league’s best players in the first half, hitting .287 with 13 homers and an .834 OPS while playing good defense at two positions, but he failed to make the All-Star team and … well, that’s just fine with him.
Rendon told Jason Butt of the Washington Post that he enjoyed the vacation because “we have a long season ahead.” As for the All-Star festivities, the 24-year-old revealed that he never watched the All-Star game as a kid and in fact he doesn’t really like watching baseball, period.
Rendon said he rarely watches the sport, preferring programs on networks such as the History channel instead. “I don’t watch baseball — it’s too long and boring,” he said.
In addition, Rendon and his family have a rule that they won’t talk about baseball when he visits. It’s clear Rendon, 24, has been able to separate his business from his personal life.
I tried to institute a similar rule within my family, banning them from discussing blogging in my presence, but my mom absolutely refuses to ask “what’s Craig like?” and “is D.J. as handsome in person?” and “does Drew really have an Oscar Taveras poster above his bed?”
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)