Anthony Rendon: “I don’t watch baseball … it’s too long and boring”

Jul 17, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT

Anthony Rendon Getty Getty Images

Nationals infielder Anthony Rendon was one of the league’s best players in the first half, hitting .287 with 13 homers and an .834 OPS while playing good defense at two positions, but he failed to make the All-Star team and … well, that’s just fine with him.

Rendon told Jason Butt of the Washington Post that he enjoyed the vacation because “we have a long season ahead.” As for the All-Star festivities, the 24-year-old revealed that he never watched the All-Star game as a kid and in fact he doesn’t really like watching baseball, period.

Seriously:

Rendon said he rarely watches the sport, preferring programs on networks such as the History channel instead. “I don’t watch baseball — it’s too long and boring,” he said.

In addition, Rendon and his family have a rule that they won’t talk about baseball when he visits. It’s clear Rendon, 24, has been able to separate his business from his personal life.

I tried to institute a similar rule within my family, banning them from discussing blogging in my presence, but my mom absolutely refuses to ask “what’s Craig like?” and “is D.J. as handsome in person?” and “does Drew really have an Oscar Taveras poster above his bed?”

1. emdash01 - Jul 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I kind of suspect this is more common than we’d like to think. Professional athletes, by and large, mostly tend to want to be moving around and active. Sitting and watching baseball is a fairly passive activity.

• natstowngreg - Jul 17, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Indeed.

I rather suspect Anthony would have been perfectly happy being there, watching from the dugout with his peers. As long as he got to play a few innings.

• paperlions - Jul 17, 2014 at 1:42 PM

It is also consistent with Posnanski’s recent comment about most players simply not being baseball fans, not growing up having favorite players or favorite memories of going to games as a kid.

2. echech88 - Jul 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Not surprising. He’s probably been playing it nonstop his entire life even when he didn’t want to whereas we just watch it as fans when we want or feel like it.

3. urallstupid - Jul 17, 2014 at 1:02 PM

truer words have never been spoken.

• scatterbrian - Jul 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Then why are you here?

• genericcommenter - Jul 17, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I couldn’t tell you the last time I watched a game, but I read blogs. When I was a kid, I had few opportunities to see any games (either in person or TV- even the most local MLB team’s games were on an expensive premium station), but I still read all the box scores and write ups in the paper. Now, I mostly do the equivalent of that online. I’m not saying I fully agree that watching games is boring, but not seeing games doesn’t mean one is not a fan of the sport.

• scatterbrian - Jul 17, 2014 at 7:03 PM

So you like reading about the outcomes of things you find too boring to experience?

4. andreweac - Jul 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Craig, don’t you mean when your mom yells down to her basement to day hello?

5. timberwolvesbrisin - Jul 17, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Most people who say Baseball are boring have short attention spans and are often impatient. It is the best game ever created, with many different angles to enjoy such as watching a pitcher closely or watching different guys approaches at the plate.

6. thomas844 - Jul 17, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Personally, I could watch a 15 inning game and never be bored of baseball, but I understand why other people would find it long and boring. They really need to find ways to stop pitchers and batters from taking too much time in between pitches. Watch any game from the 1970s or 80s and each pitch moves along so much quicker.

• infieldhit - Jul 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM

The worst is how guys adjust their gloves, when they didn’t even move the bat! C’mon!

• scatterbrian - Jul 17, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Yeah, velcro is pretty damn secure. If swinging once requires you to re-tighten velcro, you may need another fastener for your batting gloves. Like duct tape.

7. thehawg - Jul 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I think baseball is swell

8. urallstupid - Jul 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM

dont let batters step out of the box during an at bat, dont let pitches take 30 second strolls during an at bat. baseball time cut down by 50% AT LEAST. i just saved baseball.

9. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I know the last thing I want to do when I get home is watch shows about computer repair and networking, so I don’t blame him at all. However to say that Baseball is boring and the History channel isn’t, well that makes me a bit suspect of him. The History channel once used to be one of the best channels on television, now it’s all about ghosts, aliens, cars, and pawn shops. Not really sure what happened to the History in the History channel

• moogro - Jul 17, 2014 at 8:32 PM

“The World Wars” docudrama they ran was chock full of inaccuracies and weird unfocused propaganda, with interviews by Dick Cheney of all people. There’s definitely a need for an Actual History Channel.

• indaburg - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I agree on both counts. Back when I worked ER someone asked me if I liked the show ER. Hell no. The last thing in the world I wanted to see when I was off duty was the inside of another hospital, even a fake one.

I remember when there was actual history on The History Channel. Currently I find it unwatchable.

• twilson962 - Jul 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM

A-G-R-E-E-D! The History Channel is now the equivalent of Bravo for rednecks. Pawn Stars, Counting Cars, Ice Road Truckers… Seriously what is historic about any of this stuff?!? When I saw ‘Modern Marvels’ on the HISTORY channel I had to change the channel.

10. steveneisenpreis - Jul 17, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Wait…WHAT?!? I LOVE Baseball, and even if I made a kajillion dollars playing, I would STILL love watching it!

11. dashman33 - Jul 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I feel a “Baseball is dying” post coming. Of course because it has been at least two or three days since the last one.

12. kungpow9960 - Jul 17, 2014 at 3:43 PM

This seems pretty reasonable to me. Baseball is Rendon’s job, not a hobby or past time. He basically does nothing but think about work every day from February through (hopefully) October. He may love his job, but nobody wants to go to work and then spend their vacations at someone else’s office.

13. Steven Keys - Jul 17, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Tony’s a major league ball player and his “family” can’t discuss, inquire about his highly unique job when he “visits?” What a joy he must be to be around. Ugh. It’s not like the guy works in national security or runs a 7-Eleven, for god’s sake. It’s baseball for cryin’ out loud.

Someone read’s like they have a control issue. Family & friends can be very supportive (and appreciative). Lighten up, Tony. Life is good.

One more thing, Tone: don’t bite (“too long & boring”) the hand that feeds you (MLB & family).

14. pixteca - Jul 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Baseball is dying even for players…
    :'(

15. Walk - Jul 18, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Rendon’s statement was a bit shocking at first, but then i thought about it a bit. Would you watch a show about the job you work every day? I know i would not, i need time to relax from a stressful day, so i guess i can understand it. He probably spends far more time at the park than i do at my job so if he feels the need to decompress and relax and let the stress of the day filter away then that cant be a bad thing for him to do. I even understand the “long and boring” part, that describes every job i have ever had.

16. jilljulias - Jul 18, 2014 at 9:17 AM

My boys were both enthusiastic baseball players. The older one played three seasons yearly, for his high school, American Legion, and in college. He was usually the last or second to last one picked for the team. That was okay with him. It meant a lot to him to make a better team, even if usually didn’t start. He still had a nice little amateur career and learned a lot about effort and giving it your all and getting the most out of what you got.

My younger one played three seasons yearly on teams with his friends, or on a pool team. He had a lot of fun playing, never was very good, always well liked by his coaches and teammates, and even though he’s now in his mid twenties, still misses playing on his rec teams.

While they both loved to play, neither one of them has ever had the patience or desire to sit and watch a game-in person or on TV. The extent of their knowledge of the pro game comes from ESPN News blurbs in the background. And they’ve been that way since they were kids.

17. Manoj Chauhan - Oct 22, 2014 at 6:07 AM

Hi Aaron,

A very interesting fact that you have shared. But i guess it might be boring for any player to watch the game when he can actually play it inst it?

A managerial overanalysis epidemic