Jul 17, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
When last we checked in with Dontrelle Willis the former Rookie of the Year had been released by the Giants in April and was talking about potentially becoming a pitching coach.
Apparently nothing came of that, because now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Willis has signed with the Bridgeport Bluefish of the independent Atlantic League and will make his debut Friday night.
Willis is still just 32 years old, but he hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2011 and hasn’t been effective in the majors since way back in 2006. Since then he has a 5.65 ERA in 404 innings as a major leaguer, with some similarly ugly numbers in the minors of late.
I still wonder what might have happened if Willis had given up pitching in 2009 or so and focused on becoming a full-time hitter, like Rick Ankiel. At this point that ship has sailed too, unfortunately, but he’s a career .244 hitter with nine homers and a .665 OPS in 447 plate appearances.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)