Jul 17, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
The Padres have narrowed the field as they search for a new general manager to replace Josh Byrnes, but they won’t make a decision until after a round of second interviews next week, according to Bleacher Report’s Scott Miller.
The Padres are looking at the Yankees’ Cody Eppler, the Red Sox’s Mike Hazen, former Dodgers assistant GM Kim Ng and the Rangers’ A.J. Preller, Miller reports. ESPN’s Jim Bowden pegged Hazen as the favorite.
If Hazen is hired, he’d be the third straight Padres GM with Red Sox ties. Jed Hoyer was hired directly from Boston in 2009. He was later let go to join Theo Epstein and become the Cubs GM. His replacement, Byrnes, worked alongside Hoyer in Boston up until 2005, when he was hired by the Diamondbacks. Current Padres team president Mike Dee worked for the Red Sox from 2002-09.
The Padres are also reportedly looking to bring back former GM Kevin Towers in an advisory role, according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal. Towers remains the Diamondbacks’ general manager at the moment, but it’s assumed that he’s being phased out following the addition of Tony La Russa to the front office.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)