Jul 17, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
The Padres have narrowed the field as they search for a new general manager to replace Josh Byrnes, but they won’t make a decision until after a round of second interviews next week, according to Bleacher Report’s Scott Miller.
The Padres are looking at the Yankees’ Cody Eppler, the Red Sox’s Mike Hazen, former Dodgers assistant GM Kim Ng and the Rangers’ A.J. Preller, Miller reports. ESPN’s Jim Bowden pegged Hazen as the favorite.
If Hazen is hired, he’d be the third straight Padres GM with Red Sox ties. Jed Hoyer was hired directly from Boston in 2009. He was later let go to join Theo Epstein and become the Cubs GM. His replacement, Byrnes, worked alongside Hoyer in Boston up until 2005, when he was hired by the Diamondbacks. Current Padres team president Mike Dee worked for the Red Sox from 2002-09.
The Padres are also reportedly looking to bring back former GM Kevin Towers in an advisory role, according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal. Towers remains the Diamondbacks’ general manager at the moment, but it’s assumed that he’s being phased out following the addition of Tony La Russa to the front office.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)