Jul 17, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
The Padres have narrowed the field as they search for a new general manager to replace Josh Byrnes, but they won’t make a decision until after a round of second interviews next week, according to Bleacher Report’s Scott Miller.
The Padres are looking at the Yankees’ Cody Eppler, the Red Sox’s Mike Hazen, former Dodgers assistant GM Kim Ng and the Rangers’ A.J. Preller, Miller reports. ESPN’s Jim Bowden pegged Hazen as the favorite.
If Hazen is hired, he’d be the third straight Padres GM with Red Sox ties. Jed Hoyer was hired directly from Boston in 2009. He was later let go to join Theo Epstein and become the Cubs GM. His replacement, Byrnes, worked alongside Hoyer in Boston up until 2005, when he was hired by the Diamondbacks. Current Padres team president Mike Dee worked for the Red Sox from 2002-09.
The Padres are also reportedly looking to bring back former GM Kevin Towers in an advisory role, according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal. Towers remains the Diamondbacks’ general manager at the moment, but it’s assumed that he’s being phased out following the addition of Tony La Russa to the front office.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 28
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 39
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)