Shockingly, Bob Uecker was not the best scout in the history of baseball

Jul 17, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

Bob Uecker is one of the finest announcers baseball has ever seen. He created an iconic role as Harry Doyle in the “Major League” movies. He parlayed an otherwise insignificant playing career into an asset as a pitchman. He starred in a sitcom that, by the low standards of the era in which it aired, was actually pretty good. It is not hyperbole at all to call Uecker a “great.”

But he was not the greatest scout baseball has ever seen. Not by a longshot:

That is taken from the Uecker documentary MLB Network is running tonight at 7PM called “Mr. Baseball, Bob Uecker.” Based on that, I feel like my theory of documentaries — that ones about people who failed in some cases are far better than ones about people who knew nothing but success are kind of boring — still holds.

1. maddog11896 - Jul 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM

As most of you should know by now, I’m a Brewers fan and however selfish it sounds, I take pride knowing that Ueck is calling the games for my team. A hometown guy, one of the funniest men out there and just a genuinely nice person, you can’t hate Ueck. Top 5 baseball announcers ever? I put Scully at #1, Ueck at #4.

• padraighansen - Jul 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I’m a Crew fan as well. I’d put Scully at the top as well. But man…I love Ueck. Definitely top 5.

• derklempner - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I’m a Cubs fan living in Brewer country, and I agree with you 100%. I love listening to Uecker.

2. natstowngreg - Jul 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM

In an office, one says, paperwork isn’t done until it has coffee stains. Had never thought of mashed potato stains before.

3. 4grammarpolice - Jul 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Scully is the best, Uecker is close. Michael Kay of the Yankees is the worst, by far.

• derklempner - Jul 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Michael Kay?

Methinks you’ve never listened to Hawk Harrelson.

4. whatacrocker - Jul 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Hard to scout effectively from the seats where Uecker usually sat. If you want to judge talent, you really need to be in the front row.

5. lanflfan - Jul 17, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Being utterly spoiled by listening to Vin Scully broadcast Dodger games my entire life, and enduring the pain of other “broadcasters” vomit into the microphone, makes me appreciate quality broadcasters. Bob Uecker is a pleasure to listen to broadcast games, and I hope all Brewers fans realize how lucky they are to have such a great guy in the booth.

6. philipharmonic - Jul 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Bud Selig almost seems human in this clip. There’s a genuineness that I’ve never heard from the used car salesman before.

• yahmule - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I feel like I’ve been Rickrolled by Satan.

7. Francisco (FC) - Jul 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM

“I was part of two no hitters…. Unfortunately they were pitched against my team. Well, at least I did my part.”

That man is a natural comedian.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3131)