Jul 17, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Rockies right-hander Tyler Chatwood has been out since late April with an elbow injury and the team just announced that he’ll undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Chatwood started 20 games with a 3.15 ERA for the Rockies last season as a 23-year-old, but made it just four starts this season before being shut down and is now likely to miss most of 2015 as well.
He was acquired from the Angels in the November of 2011 swap for catcher Chris Iannetta and Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Chatwood’s recovery had progressed as far as throwing batting practice last week before he experienced a setback. Saunders also notes that Chatwood will be undergoing Tommy John surgery for the second time, with the first coming as a 16-year-old high school pitcher.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 67
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 63
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)