Jul 17, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Rockies right-hander Tyler Chatwood has been out since late April with an elbow injury and the team just announced that he’ll undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Chatwood started 20 games with a 3.15 ERA for the Rockies last season as a 23-year-old, but made it just four starts this season before being shut down and is now likely to miss most of 2015 as well.
He was acquired from the Angels in the November of 2011 swap for catcher Chris Iannetta and Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Chatwood’s recovery had progressed as far as throwing batting practice last week before he experienced a setback. Saunders also notes that Chatwood will be undergoing Tommy John surgery for the second time, with the first coming as a 16-year-old high school pitcher.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)