Jul 17, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Rockies right-hander Tyler Chatwood has been out since late April with an elbow injury and the team just announced that he’ll undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Chatwood started 20 games with a 3.15 ERA for the Rockies last season as a 23-year-old, but made it just four starts this season before being shut down and is now likely to miss most of 2015 as well.
He was acquired from the Angels in the November of 2011 swap for catcher Chris Iannetta and Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Chatwood’s recovery had progressed as far as throwing batting practice last week before he experienced a setback. Saunders also notes that Chatwood will be undergoing Tommy John surgery for the second time, with the first coming as a 16-year-old high school pitcher.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)