Jul 17, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Rockies right-hander Tyler Chatwood has been out since late April with an elbow injury and the team just announced that he’ll undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Chatwood started 20 games with a 3.15 ERA for the Rockies last season as a 23-year-old, but made it just four starts this season before being shut down and is now likely to miss most of 2015 as well.
He was acquired from the Angels in the November of 2011 swap for catcher Chris Iannetta and Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Chatwood’s recovery had progressed as far as throwing batting practice last week before he experienced a setback. Saunders also notes that Chatwood will be undergoing Tommy John surgery for the second time, with the first coming as a 16-year-old high school pitcher.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 0
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 13
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)