Jul 17, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Rockies right-hander Tyler Chatwood has been out since late April with an elbow injury and the team just announced that he’ll undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Chatwood started 20 games with a 3.15 ERA for the Rockies last season as a 23-year-old, but made it just four starts this season before being shut down and is now likely to miss most of 2015 as well.
He was acquired from the Angels in the November of 2011 swap for catcher Chris Iannetta and Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Chatwood’s recovery had progressed as far as throwing batting practice last week before he experienced a setback. Saunders also notes that Chatwood will be undergoing Tommy John surgery for the second time, with the first coming as a 16-year-old high school pitcher.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 17
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 17
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 15
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)