Jul 17, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon has made it very clear that he’d waive his veto rights and welcome a trade to a contender, and Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles talked to “a baseball source” who expects the Dodgers to make a run for the 33-year-old right-hander.
Stockpiling current and former closers is something the Dodgers have done a lot of lately with Brian Wilson, Brandon League, Chris Perez, and Carlos Marmol joining Kenley Jansen in the bullpen at various points since last season.
In this case Papelbon remains a very effective closer for the Phillies, saving 22 games with a 1.21 ERA and 33/9 K/BB ratio in 37 innings. His velocity and strikeout rate are both way down compared to his peak, but Papelbon pitching the eighth inning in front of Jansen would still be plenty scary for opponents.
Plus, if there’s one team that might not care about the $13 million he’s owed for next season it’s probably the Dodgers. After all, they already committed big money to Wilson to fill that same role and instead he’s been injured and ineffective. It’s also worth noting that if the Dodgers acquired Papelbon and shifted him to a setup role the odds of his $13 million option for 2016 vesting based on games finished totals would be very low.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)