Jul 18, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says it’s a done deal, with the Padres sending Street and an undisclosed minor leaguer to the Angels for a four-prospect package headlined by Triple-A infielder Taylor Lindsey.
Bullpen problems have plagued the Angels, who recently traded former closers with the Pirates by swapping Ernesto Friero for Jason Grilli and have also used longtime setup man Joe Smith in the closer role.
By getting Street they’d been leaving no question about the ninth-inning role, as he’s saved 258 games since debuting for the A’s in 2005, including 23 saves with a 1.09 ERA for the Padres this season.
Street has never been particularly durable and occasionally has trouble keeping the ball in the ballpark, but he’s never had an ERA above 4.00, boasts a 2.87 ERA in 565 career innings, and has a 2.03 mark with a 127/32 K/BB ratio in 129 innings for the Padres since 2012.
Street is making $7 million this season and his contract contains a $7 team option for 2015 that the Angels would almost surely be interested in exercising following a trade for the 30-year-old.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)