Jul 18, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The Giants team charter was en route from San Francisco to Miami last night when it had to be diverted to Las Vegas because pitching coach Dave Righetti was struck by a bout of vertigo. Andrew Baggarly reports:
Righetti is in good condition, was joined in Las Vegas by his wife and will stay there until he is cleared to fly, Giants spokesperson Matt Chisholm said.
The team does not expect Righetti to travel to Miami for the team’s three-game weekend series, which begins Friday night. It was unclear whether Righetti could join the Giants Monday in Philadelphia.
Crazy to realize that Righetti has been a pitching coach for 15 years. His entire big league career as a player was 16 years. The Giants are big on job security.
Anyway, here’s hoping Righetti feels better soon.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)