Jul 18, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
The Giants team charter was en route from San Francisco to Miami last night when it had to be diverted to Las Vegas because pitching coach Dave Righetti was struck by a bout of vertigo. Andrew Baggarly reports:
Righetti is in good condition, was joined in Las Vegas by his wife and will stay there until he is cleared to fly, Giants spokesperson Matt Chisholm said.
The team does not expect Righetti to travel to Miami for the team’s three-game weekend series, which begins Friday night. It was unclear whether Righetti could join the Giants Monday in Philadelphia.
Crazy to realize that Righetti has been a pitching coach for 15 years. His entire big league career as a player was 16 years. The Giants are big on job security.
Anyway, here’s hoping Righetti feels better soon.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)