Jul 18, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The Giants team charter was en route from San Francisco to Miami last night when it had to be diverted to Las Vegas because pitching coach Dave Righetti was struck by a bout of vertigo. Andrew Baggarly reports:
Righetti is in good condition, was joined in Las Vegas by his wife and will stay there until he is cleared to fly, Giants spokesperson Matt Chisholm said.
The team does not expect Righetti to travel to Miami for the team’s three-game weekend series, which begins Friday night. It was unclear whether Righetti could join the Giants Monday in Philadelphia.
Crazy to realize that Righetti has been a pitching coach for 15 years. His entire big league career as a player was 16 years. The Giants are big on job security.
Anyway, here’s hoping Righetti feels better soon.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)