Here’s the All-Star “In Memoriam” reel we didn’t get at the All-Star Game

Jul 18, 2014, 7:30 AM EST

Paul Sullivan of Sully Baseball has done what Major League Baseball and Fox did not do: he created an “In Memoriam” reel for all of the baseball figures who passed away between the 2013 and 2014 All-Star Games. It’s very well done:

I did not check to see if anyone was missed, but if so, I don’t think it detracts too much. Even the Oscars one misses people from time to time. But hell, this one has deep cuts like Gates Brown on it, so I’m guessing it’s pretty complete.

I’m also guessing that Fox and/or MLB will start doing this either at the World Series or the All-Star Game next year in light of all of the criticism they have received this week. Which, OK, cool. As long as it’s simple, short and straight-forward like this and isn’t just another vehicle for a Joe Buck voiceover and a sponsorship mention or a too-conspicuous-by-half shoutout to MLB’s philanthropic efforts.

1. chill1184 - Jul 18, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Very nice

2. jarathen - Jul 18, 2014 at 7:39 AM

I need to know which Yum! Brands entity brought this to us or it’s all meaningless.

• Paul Francis Sullivan - Jul 18, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Huh?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Paul, Jara was being sarcastic.

• jarathen - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Taco Bell got some mentions at the ASG. I was remarking on the corporate sponsorship of every little thing.

3. baberuthslegs - Jul 18, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Beautifully done.

4. mikhelb - Jul 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM

During this year’s World Series:

And now, lets take a moment to remember players and baseball people we lost in the past year, with a memorial remembrance brought to you by Taco Bell, because nothing says fake tacos filled with crap never before seen in a real taco, like Taco Bell, and by Pepto Bismol, for a sure cure to the diarrhea brought to you by Taco Bell.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 18, 2014 at 5:14 PM

“This presentation will be lovingly ruined with a syrupy bad song song sung mellifluously by Sally Farfenferfer, star of the smash hit Fox comedy, Where’s My Talent?, which you can see every week right here on Fox on Monday nights, please check local listings or log on to fox.barf.”

5. jdanknich - Jul 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Very well done.

6. jilljulias - Jul 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM

They should even let Paul Sullivan do it! That was very nice and respectful, didn’t run very long, and managed to hit the important thing about each player.

I am still floored that a game called the All Star Game would omit mentioning a recently deceased 15 time all star who was also apparently an all star person as well. As my mother would say, “Knock me over with a feather!”

7. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 18, 2014 at 9:13 AM

8. NatsLady - Jul 18, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Very nice. A few tears. Goes way back…even to WWII.

9. wonkypenguin - Jul 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM

That is excellent. Give Sully his choice between a Chevy Truck or Budweiser!

10. joecool16280 - Jul 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Does anyone really like Joe Buck? Seriously, why does Fox love this guy so much.

I never hear anything good from fans about this guy at all.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM

It’s weird, because I’ve always really disliked Buck, but yesterday he was on the Dan Patrick Show when I was driving into work in the morning, and Petros and Money when I was driving home in the afternoon…. and he was actually very personable on both interviews. So clearly he has it in him, even if he doesn’t show it.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 18, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Actually it was on Tuesday… this week has been long lol

11. shawndc04 - Jul 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Excellent presentation. There must be some onions here at my desk.

12. moogro - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:49 AM

That was great. We all thought it, he made it. If and when it becomes a thing, like any thing, where to draw the line is going to be argued. All-stars only, world champ but no all-star, legend but no all-star, HOFer but no all-star, multiple all-star deserving but always snubbed, executives and coaches, etc.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 18, 2014 at 5:33 PM

If the person wore a pro baseball uniform, they’re eligible. Teams can honor their executives on their own.

13. whatacrocker - Jul 18, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I actually don’t think the player’s resume should be noted in the tribute. It implies that a death is only worth noting if the player was an All Star or a World Series winner.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 18, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I disagree because I think it can be quite helpful and educational for the (newer/younger) fans.

14. elmo - Jul 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Missed Bobby Castillo.

• Paul Francis Sullivan - Jul 18, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Damn it! I did. I will write a tribute to him on my blog.

15. foreverchipper10 - Jul 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I got goosebumps.

16. nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 18, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Excellent piece Mr Sullivan.
    And I feel the All-Star Game is by far the more appropriate time for this than the World Series. The ASG is all of the teams coming together to celebrate the best individuals around, so let’s remember the now-gone individuals. The WS is the two best teams, so let’s focus on them.

17. jpalughi823 - Jul 18, 2014 at 5:23 PM

great job sir

18. ptfu - Jul 18, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I like how the Tony Gwynn clip has Jerry Coleman making the call. Two in one.

19. tmc602014 - Jul 18, 2014 at 7:17 PM

#1, absolutely outstanding job, and the clips (for me Welch v. Mr. October has special significance) added immeasurably.
    #2, was I asleep? George Scott? Paul Blair? Bobby Castillo? The reason this is needed is sometimes people miss stuff, and this gets everybody caught up. I enjoyed the play of those three and had no idea they had passed.

20. Minoring In Baseball - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:27 AM

He sent it to all of the BBA members, and did a fantastic job with it. TG was a class act, and meant a lot to baseball fans.

21. extavernmouse - Jul 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Absolutely beautiful. Mike Hegan in his Pilots uniform — I was a 15-year-old fan — and Conrado Marrero, until this year the Oldest Living Major League Baseball Player. I named a fantasy team after him (Conrado’s Geezers) three years ago, never knowing I’d still be using the name this year. And then found out he was quite a guy.

Bud, I hope you watched this and will tell your successor to be sure to do this every All Star Game. I agree it’s better at the ASG than World Series.

Great job, Mr. Sullivan!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5326)