Jul 18, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
San Francisco has pushed back Matt Cain‘s first start of the second half so that he gets 12 days between outings and in doing so manager Bruce Bochy admitted to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that Cain has been pitching through “crankiness” in his elbow since spring training.
The elbow has been cranky at times going back to the spring. It gets that way occasionally and he’s always pitched through it.
Not coincidentally, Cain is 2-7 with a career-worst 4.18 ERA in 15 starts, with the lowest strikeout rate of his decade-long career and his highest walk rate since 2008. Cain, who apparently never reveals much of anything to reporters about his health status, said only: “I’m feeling like I’m feeling.”
- What Bryan Price’s rant was really all about 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 30
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)