Jul 18, 2014, 6:47 PM EDT
Sunday Night Baseball this weekend features the Cardinals and Dodgers, and things had been lined up for All-Star starter Adam Wainwright to face off against the man some people felt should have gotten the starting nod, reigning Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw.
But the great matchup won’t happen.
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny spoke to Wainwright about how he felt following the one-inning appearance in the All-Star game and has decided to push back his first start of the second half until next week. Kershaw, meanwhile, also threw one inning in the All-Star game and, for now at least, is scheduled to start Sunday night for the Dodgers.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch notes that Wainwright skipped one turn in the rotation earlier this season to rest a sore elbow and doing so again will give him at least 10 days between starts and “a chance to rest now and roar through the remainder of the season.”
Fair enough, but damn that would have been a lot of fun to watch (although a Kershaw vs. Carlos Martinez matchup Sunday is pretty nice too).
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 104
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 67
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)