Jul 18, 2014, 6:47 PM EDT
Sunday Night Baseball this weekend features the Cardinals and Dodgers, and things had been lined up for All-Star starter Adam Wainwright to face off against the man some people felt should have gotten the starting nod, reigning Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw.
But the great matchup won’t happen.
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny spoke to Wainwright about how he felt following the one-inning appearance in the All-Star game and has decided to push back his first start of the second half until next week. Kershaw, meanwhile, also threw one inning in the All-Star game and, for now at least, is scheduled to start Sunday night for the Dodgers.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch notes that Wainwright skipped one turn in the rotation earlier this season to rest a sore elbow and doing so again will give him at least 10 days between starts and “a chance to rest now and roar through the remainder of the season.”
Fair enough, but damn that would have been a lot of fun to watch (although a Kershaw vs. Carlos Martinez matchup Sunday is pretty nice too).
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)