Jul 18, 2014, 6:47 PM EST
Sunday Night Baseball this weekend features the Cardinals and Dodgers, and things had been lined up for All-Star starter Adam Wainwright to face off against the man some people felt should have gotten the starting nod, reigning Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw.
But the great matchup won’t happen.
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny spoke to Wainwright about how he felt following the one-inning appearance in the All-Star game and has decided to push back his first start of the second half until next week. Kershaw, meanwhile, also threw one inning in the All-Star game and, for now at least, is scheduled to start Sunday night for the Dodgers.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch notes that Wainwright skipped one turn in the rotation earlier this season to rest a sore elbow and doing so again will give him at least 10 days between starts and “a chance to rest now and roar through the remainder of the season.”
Fair enough, but damn that would have been a lot of fun to watch (although a Kershaw vs. Carlos Martinez matchup Sunday is pretty nice too).
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)